• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro Boost

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Anyone have a XJ with hydroboost or know of a thread about it? I know there's other brake upgrades out there but I'm thinking this would be best for stopping my F350 axles.

I did a few searches but it seems there's only threads of people asking about it :D

I haven't finished mine yet, but already planning on doing this to my MJ.

First off, your best resource will be Lance at PSC. He gave me basically a breakdown of what parts to get.

Second, I'm not sure a stock pump will handle this. Do you have any type of assist or full hydro setup? Definitely won't handle it.

I got my entire full hydro kit from Lance at PSC and he included a different reservoir (2 returns; 1 for the hydroboost and 1 for the orbital valve) as well as an extra hose kit considering I was going for hydroboost.

I don't want to misquote Lance, so I'll let you call him and speak with him about it.

All I can say, is that after driving my friend's J10 with hydroboost I do NOT want vacuum brakes in my MJ.

I haven't finished mine yet, but already planning on doing this to my MJ.

First off, your best resource will be Lance at PSC. He gave me basically a breakdown of what parts to get.

Second, I'm not sure a stock pump will handle this. Do you have any type of assist or full hydro setup? Definitely won't handle it.

I got my entire full hydro kit from Lance at PSC and he included a different reservoir (2 returns; 1 for the hydroboost and 1 for the orbital valve) as well as an extra hose kit considering I was going for hydroboost.

I don't want to misquote Lance, so I'll let you call him and speak with him about it.

All I can say, is that after driving my friend's J10 with hydroboost I do NOT want vacuum brakes in my MJ.

Yeah I figured the pump wouldn't handle it and I need to go to assist anyway for 1tons and 41's.

I think I'm going with west texas offroads pump and hydro setup.

What did your booster and mc come off of or is it all psc?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

You might also want to contact Vanco, as they rebuild hydroboosts and deal with them all day long.

From my research, you either want some sort of GM booster (astro van, or pickup) or from the newest super duty you can find.

Lance told me a 68-76 Corvette MC does the trick. Again, do some phone calling. Will save you a lot of hassle. I haven't reached this point in my build yet so I haven't done enough research to start giving out too much advice.

You might also want to contact Vanco, as they rebuild hydroboosts and deal with them all day long.

From my research, you either want some sort of GM booster (astro van, or pickup) or from the newest super duty you can find.

Lance told me a 68-76 Corvette MC does the trick. Again, do some phone calling. Will save you a lot of hassle. I haven't reached this point in my build yet so I haven't done enough research to start giving out too much advice.

I looked at vanco a bit pricey for my blood. Looks like astro van for availability with west tex pump/assist will be a good cheap route

I did the duel diaphram mod on one of my xj's and this looks about equal in dificulty. I'm surprised there's isn't more talk about it on here

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Just FYI, you may find some sluggish response with both hydroboost and assist when you're on the brakes and trying to turn. If that does happen, send your booster out to Vanco and he'll rebuild and port the HP-in and HP-out path for more flow.

I've read and heard that the super duty boosters are higher flow from the factory.

The Mustangs use a pretty nice hydroboost setup too.

yeah someone on pirate said the stang is stronger than the PSD. But that's "someone said" and I wouldn't base my setup off of it.

So far all of my research has me looking back at vanco.
With all of the issues I've seen posted, Having a brand new setup that's plug and play might be worth the 900$.
Vanco uses the 2000+ chevy booster and from the looks they run from 400-700 brand new
so paying 490$ for one that bolts to my firewall/pedal doesn't really seem bad. I still have to look into the hoses and crap to see how much cheaper I can do it myself (they want 175$).
They charge 85 for an MC which is about equal to rock auto so I assume it's a reman.

They want 125 for a prop valve which is cheaper than the 150+ ones on rock auto but I've seen adjustable ones for 50$(wilwood)+ so I might do that myself too.

Some good stuff in here including links to the the guy on ebay that's building them for the Jeeps. 125 bucks last time I looked, it is high on my list of things to do.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=99397
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Looks like he wants 390 for a 1ton setup. It's also the gold accumulator which is 700lbs or so less than the blue accumulator.

The astro he wants 125 which would probably be awesome on stock axles.

I'm running 1 tons with 41's so I don't think that will be a good route for me. I'm also worried about hydro assist which vanco bores out the booster for.

I emailed Elliot for more details so I guess we will see. He posted saying PSC said it would be good with fully hydro.

Last edited:
Alright so I contacted Elliot, PSC and West texas.

West Texas offroad said the pump definitley matters but get a highflow booster from Vanco
Elliot said we could try some things but nothing positivley will work. Also recomended getting a flowed booster from vanco.
PSC gave me a horibly generic response... "The pump will work fine with hydro boost. I would call Van at Vanco power brake he will probably have a kit for your vehicle."

So in the end I'm going with west texas steering and a Vanco booster/mc running my own lines and prop valve (which would save around 175$).

Saving 100$ on my booster isn't going to be worth running a system that might not work.

For those in a different situation I would definitley contact Elliot he knows a lot about the systems and is very helpful/informative.

As for PSC I own a kit from them that I'm selling. I've heard great things about them but I absolutely hate generic responses. He didn't answer my questions at all. I understand they're a big buisness but as a paying customer I would think I would be worth their time.

Last edited:
As for PSC I own a kit from them that I'm selling. I've heard great things about them but I absolutely hate generic responses. He didn't answer my questions at all. I understand they're a big buisness but as a paying customer I would think I would be worth their time.

Did you call them?

I specifically GAVE you someone's name (Lance) to call. It's worth your time, believe me. He has more information than you'll care to know.

I've had unbelievable service from them through calling them. They sent me out an extra set of heims for my setup when I failed to describe what I was asking.

:rolleyes:

Also, the GM and Superduty boosters are pretty much the same thing.

The Superdutys are supposed to have slightly higher flow through the HP ports.

Did you call them?

I specifically GAVE you someone's name (Lance) to call. It's worth your time, believe me. He has more information than you'll care to know.

I've had unbelievable service from them through calling them. They sent me out an extra set of heims for my setup when I failed to describe what I was asking.

:rolleyes:

It shouldn't matter who I call when I say "hey I have this kit of yours with this ram which ram should I use for this application?" you should say "oh you spent 2000$ here already I should take 2 minutes of my time to find out which ram you should change to for your application which would make my company even more money."

Lance may be a great guy and provide great service but this guy did not.
West tex however was very helpful and that's a winner in my book.

Personal preference, I'm just posting my experience.

Also, the GM and Superduty boosters are pretty much the same thing.

The Superdutys are supposed to have slightly higher flow through the HP ports.

Elliot said specifically it must be a 2005+ PSD in order to be compatible.

Back