• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Johnson Valley DEIS released

Blurble XJ

NAXJA Forum User

Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) Released for Public Review and Comment
The DEIS represents a lengthy study of the environmental impacts associated with six different land acquisition alternatives, and associated Special Use Airspace alternatives, under study to meet Marine Expeditionary Brigade sustained, combined-arms, live fire maneuver training. The public will be able to comment on the DEIS and those comments will be evaluated and responded to in preparation of the Final EIS.
o The DEIS Public Comment Period runs from February 25 through May 26, 2011
o Public Review and Comment Meetings will be held during the hours of 5:00 – 9:00 PM on
§ April 12, 2011, at Copper Mountain College, Joshua Tree, CA
§ April 13, 2011, at Ontario High School, Ontario, CA
§ April 14, 2011, at Hilton Garden Inn, Mirage/Sahara Conference Center, Victorville, CA
o More details on the meeting locations and to where to send comments is on the project website set out below.
Ø Marine Corps selects preferred Alternative in the DEIS

Based upon the analysis of training requirements and the evaluation of the environmental impacts involved with each of the six alternatives studied (as well as the No Action Alternative), the Marine Corps has selected Alternative 6 as the preferred alternative.
o Alternative 1 is the alternative that best meets the Marine Corps MEB training requirement, but it has more environmental impacts than the preferred.
o Alternative 5 has the least environmental impacts, but it is the poorest in terms of meeting Marine Corps MEB training requirements.
o Alternative 6, while not the best alternative from either an operational perspective or an environmental impacts perspective, is the optimal alternative given both the operational and environmental impact factors considered together. (Alternative 6 was developed in response to public comments during the project’s Scoping Phase and was designed to provide access to important public off-road recreation areas during periods when MEB training did not require use of the land. Public safety management programs would allow for reopening part of the acquisition area once the twice-annual MEB exercises were completed, allowing approximately 10 months a year of access to the public.)
Ø Future Significant Project Milestones:
o Publish Final EIS and review of public comments – December 2011
o Publish Record of Decision (ROD) – April 2012
o If ROD determines to pursue land acquisition and air space establishment:
§ Congressional action on request for public land withdrawal for military training
§ FAA formal processes and actions on Special Use Airspace proposal request

http://www.marines.mil/unit/29palms/LAS/pages/updates.aspx

SO...

Interpret please?

If I read this right, the marines get the land they want (which is what?) 2 months out of the year, and they get to pick those two months at will?

It sounds like we will have Johnson Valley to ourselves for 10 months out of the year, which is acceptable to me, since many places elsewhere close for longer than that. The large exercises usually aren't just a random occurrence. A LOT of planning goes into each one. As such, they tend to run around the same time every year from what I can recall/observed while I was still on the base.

FOR NOW..They start with just a SMALL part, then they drop the other shoe..KEEP your eyes open, they want to close it down..I think it was just last year when they were talking about it..
Look at the money they took from the OHV fund..Just a little right

I am going to try and talk to the General that oversees MCI West (Pendleton, Yuma, 29 Palms...) on the 2nd because he is coming to my shop to promote one of my friends. He always asks if we have any questions and I'll see if he knows anything more about this.

We will lose more than what you think with alt 6. Keep your eyes on the CORVA website www.corva.org Once we digest the DEIS we will get the information out to everyone. You are talking about a report that is over 1,500 pages.

FOR NOW..They start with just a SMALL part, then they drop the other shoe..KEEP your eyes open, they want to close it down..I think it was just last year when they were talking about it..
Look at the money they took from the OHV fund..Just a little right

Once the military gets a window of time approved they will extend the frequency and duration of use (additional closures to clear live rounds) until their usage times close that area to the public access for most of the year. Its only a matter of time that the public loses interest in using the area due to frequent closures; the military will request permanent year round use of the area.

Last edited:
The best choice for the OHV community is Alternative 3. That alternative adds the land to the east of the current base.

JV would not be affected at all by Alternative 3.

Once the military gets a window of time approved they will extend the frequency and duration of use (additional closures to clear live rounds) until their usage times close that area to the public access for most of the year. Its only a matter of time that the public loses interest in using the area due to frequent closures; the military will request permanent year round use of the area.
I seriously doubt the Marine corps wants to lockdown this area year round. They want to have room to hold some specific exercises and that's it. I think there's been alot of hype about all this but it looks to me like the preferred solution is a win for everyone involved.

Wednesday night is in Ontario from 5-9pm. (Ontario High School Gym, 901 W. Fancis St.)
Thursday night is in Victorville from 5-9pm. (Hilton Garden Inn, 12603 Mariposa Rd.)

Bump I cant make it I hope some of y'all can.

Click here (https://extranet.tecinc.com/29Palms_DEIS/) to tell the Marines what Johnson Valley means to you and why you why it needs to stay an OHV area.

Please that a few minutes... time is running out for comments. Last meeting on schedule is today in Victorville from 5pm-9pm. Follow the link above. Writing a short letter and commenting on what we love about 4wheeling and the effects closing one of our wheeling areas will do to our lifestyles, businesses for years to come. Even if you will never visit Johnson Valley in your lifetime, your kids might or might not....
rockon.gif

Back