• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring up a Push Start Button

90xjblue

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I am new to these forums and a new jeep owner within the last two weeks! I am interested in putting in a push button start on my 1990 xj but have not found a decent diagram or writeup on it on any forums.

What im looking for is Which wire to hook the ignition toggle to and which wire to hook the starter to? From the ignition switch, or do I need to go to the starter solenoid with the starter wire?

With a tester when the key is on in the run position I found a white wire that becomes active, but cannot find the wire that gets power when i turn in to start and crank the starter. Help!! =D

p.s. want to use no keys.

The PO somehow broke off the whole ignition, tumbler and everything. the only way to start it at the moment is with pliers. I would have to buy a whole new steering column because the plastic around where the tumbler goes is broken to.

Gotcha. Idk which wire to go from but it should be fairly easy to locate at the column. I'd use a heavy duty toggle for the ignition and the switch for the starter should be fine since it's all on relays.

Changing the column is not that hard. Had to do it on my 87 when the tilt mechanism decided to not lock in place anymore. They are cheap at the wrecking yard.

You can go to a hot rod shop to get the ignition button and there are diagrams. My '74 beetle had a push button start installed by the PO. The local VW performance shop knew everything I needed to know about them.

Good luck

Josh

You could try forming a rudimentary lathe ... :rtm:
CIMG0032.jpg

FSM will have what you need to know as far as wires. Later models are different. But JeepCherokeeGUY99 wired his 99. Sure he could help.

Run the main power wire from the battery to a toggle swith. Run the other wire out of the toggle switch to the push button. Run the next wire out of the push button down to the starter itself. Its the larger screw not the small one. Next run a ground out of the toggle switch as well. I bought this starter switch (http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/11001/10002/-1) for my Jeep when my tumbler went bad. Its very easy to wire up and it works very well. My key turns forward and that turns on the computer and fuel pump etc. and I use the push button to start the jeep. Hope this helps. If you run into any problems or my explanation is confusing (Im sure it is) just PM me. Its not hard. I would post pics of my set up but my digital camera just took a shit on me so no go. Sorry guy.

here's how mine is hooked up, it was actually really easy to do. i can email you the schematic if you'd like.

oh and it was done on a 91 BTW

Last edited:
Back