• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling all NP242J guru's!

Spidey

NAXJA Forum User
Lost my rear drive shaft (original slip yoke) a couple of months ago...when it flew out (at 70 mph) it must have whacked the tcase pretty good because it put a couple of cracks in the rear output shaft housing.

To clarify, this is also the piece where the speedo gear is located.

I was hoping that I could just weld up the cracks in the housing, but upon removal I discovered that every one of the four bolt holes in the housing had a crack...so the housing began to fall apart as I separated it from the tcase!

SO, my question is...are there any sources for that housing, without having to buy an entire tcase?

I am checking into the salvage options, but most want to sell me the entire Tcase...not too keen on spending $300-$500 on an entire unit when I really only need a part that would probably cost $50-$75.

Was hoping that I could buy a new part or NOS part from one of the online sites, but so far it appears as though it is a non-option. Why is there so little love for the NP242?

Wow, they are that pricey around there? You can get a whole case for 50-100 around here at a you-pull-it or from a NAXJA member parting out a rig.

What year XJ? There are some differences year to year and I can look up the OEM/dealership part numbers for you if you want.

Wow, they are that pricey around there? You can get a whole case for 50-100 around here at a you-pull-it or from a NAXJA member parting out a rig.

What year XJ? There are some differences year to year and I can look up the OEM/dealership part numbers for you if you want.

1992 XJ Limited. If you get a chance to find an OEM part number that would be great but do not spend a lot of time on it.

There is only one Jeep shop (with an actual storefront) here in Wichita, and there is always Craigslist but that can even be hit-or-miss with the XJ parts.

Most Jeeps are treated like gold around here...even the early model XJ's that are all whiskey-tango will sell for $1K or more!

For a 92 you want the following parts:
* 8350 3524 (VSS housing - bolts to back half of case)
* 8350 3156 (tailcone - bolts to the VSS housing and holds the rear output seal that rides on the slip yoke)
* 8350 1389 (new rear output seal)

These should also fit 91 and 93, possibly 87 through 90 as well (not sure), and most likely 94/95 also. Definitely will not fit anything 96 or later.

For a 92 you want the following parts:
* 8350 3524 (VSS housing - bolts to back half of case)
* 8350 3156 (tailcone - bolts to the VSS housing and holds the rear output seal that rides on the slip yoke)
* 8350 1389 (new rear output seal)

These should also fit 91 and 93, possibly 87 through 90 as well (not sure), and most likely 94/95 also. Definitely will not fit anything 96 or later.

Bless you, sir!

Thank you for the info !!!

Back