• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can i run 235/70r16 on 8" wide rims?

cheapcherokee93

<----boat-manche
here's the story....i basically got a set of honda pilot rims with 235/70r16 bfg ATs for FREE :D so in anticipation of this i bought a set of 16X8 D window style wheels so i could run those instead of the pilot rims (pilot rims are the same bolt pattern btw, but they have a ton of backspacing). well so i picked them up and noticed they were narrower than i thought, so i looked up the exact tire on tirerack.com and sure enough the max rim size listed is 7.5". i know a lot of people dont meet the manufacturers requirements (such as running a 12.5" wide tire on a stock 7" wide rim), so can that be applied here? its just a half an inch, will that make a big enough difference to where i cant run them? i dont want to damage the tire or have it look stupid wide.

Yes you can. Go to www.tirerack.com and pick the "shop by size" option and put your 235/70/16 size in there and you'll see that that size tire is recommended for a 6-8" wide wheel(click the spec tab for each tire in that size).

well looks like its a no go. the beads will not seat because the rim is too wide. i tried everything, including a ratchet strap around the middle of the tread and it still will not seat. im looking into a bead expander but i think im just gonna sell it all. i dont think it'll be worth all the trouble for such a small tire.

Back