• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to get a solid mount for my CB antenna

robhurlburt

NAXJA Forum User
If this isn't the right forum, please move.

*i know NOTHING about CB radios*

I can solder, and wire whatever needed up, so specific parts would be welcome!

So i bought a cb radio and antenna of craigslist to go wheeling with. Nothing special, just need to talk back and forth with my buddies. It was a magnet antenna mount, and the first time out i broke the mount.

Now i have:
-CB radio
-Antenna
-Coax cable (torn)

I would like to be able to add a connector, or whatever is needed to make a permanent mount for the CB antenna. There HAS to be some way to cut the coax, add a connector, and mount and be set.

What connector do i need? I need a picture and/or a P/N because i don't know what i am looking for.

Thanks!!!!

CB:
P1160094.jpg

Broken mount:
P1160093.jpg

^^ I have that same kit. The ring allows you to stud mount it and the connector on the other side, you solder on. So you can run the cable really easy, then when you get to where you want it terminated, just solder on the connector and screw into the CB.

After I bent that mount a few times on trees, I figured out a way to mount just the small angle part to my taillight boxes. Bent the edge of the hatch in just enough to clear it (It was bent/dented already, so didn't bother me lol.)

it looks like the cable is part of that magnet mount. You need a proper mount and some RG-58 to wire it up with.

Find a truck stop, they'll have everything you need right in front of you on a big wall.

^^ I have that same kit. The ring allows you to stud mount it and the connector on the other side, you solder on. So you can run the cable really easy, then when you get to where you want it terminated, just solder on the connector and screw into the CB.

After I bent that mount a few times on trees, I figured out a way to mount just the small angle part to my taillight boxes. Bent the edge of the hatch in just enough to clear it (It was bent/dented already, so didn't bother me lol.)

Do you have pictures... of this modification? I have the hood mount but its pretty flexible right now!! im the heavy firestick needs a stronger mount so that mount looks like what I want but I was afraid it would get knocked around.

the problem with mounting on the tail light is that when you snag it on a tree, it really hoses your hatch and the tail light when it rips off.

the problem with mounting on the tail light is that when you snag it on a tree, it really hoses your hatch and the tail light when it rips off.

so we are screwed when it comes to mounting a CB antenna lol

Ask and you shall receive.

Old mount, as shown above. Mounted on the body under the hatch. Bent it back into the hatch a few times rubbing on trees.

DSC01875.jpg

DSC01911.jpg

New mounting. Got rid of the doorjamb mount and bolted the angled piece straight to the quarter guards. Since its on the back and not the side, I can slide along trees and not rip it off.

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

Last edited:
This seems like a no-brainer.

Install a permanent mount on the roof or (if something suitable can be found) a front fender; a no-ground-plane mount could even work on the front valance. Unscrew the antenna when not in use.

Is there a reason why this wouldn't work?

Last edited:
Back