• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock mount

comanche24

NAXJA Forum User
Today I was installing my shocks I tightened the shock down way to much and broke the stud. Im talking about where the shock mounts up to the frame not the spring plate. It looks like the stud and sleeve where the shock mounts to are part of some type of mounting bracket that is welded to the frame. Dose any body know where I can get one? Or is there any other way of fixing this? Here is a pic of what im tanking about
DSCI0174.jpg

Thanks for any and all ideas

Brandon

Grind the thread stub flat, then drill and tap the hole to fit a screw which would clamp a washer over the remainder of the stud and shock grommet??

Last edited:
:dunno: Judging my your screen name and the fact no stock XJ mounts look like that, is this an upper rear shock mount on a MJ?

Just cut it off and weld a correctly sized bolt in place there. Or build some fany double shear brackets.

yes it is an mj im sooo sorry I didnt say that. From some other answers on other forums they told me to go to a jy and cut one off of a xj and weld one on? but if you say thats not what the shock mount looks like on any xj then grrr. And yes that is the rear shock mount. Thanks!

Brandon

yep that's an MJ shock mount...

I'd weld a big ass bolt on there like the rest of the guys said. Size it so it fits the optional sleeve that is included with the new shock, since it's not used on MJs (it's for other vehicles that the same shock fits.)

got it all together now. I went to Reutimann's shop in town and talked to Buzzie Reutimann who owns the shop and is the brother of the shop teacher at my school, and he came up with some thing that I should get done tomarrow in shop. He gave me two peaces that look just like shock stud that I broke off, but have a stud on the back end also (so maybe they are shock studs :dunno: didnt ask). He said just cut off the stud on the back, and cut the old one off of the frame. Grind it to make it clean and smooth, and weld the "new" stud that I just cut the back off of on the frame in the same spot the old one was. Then mount the shock and DONT over tighten lol here's a pic of what he gave me:
DSCI0177.jpg

Im most likley going to use the one on the left because there is more to weld on to. But both are the same size. im going to cut where the yellow line is:
DSCI0177-1.jpg

It should be really easy then Ill have shocks again :clapping: Ill let you know either tomarrow or Friday how every thing go's ill also post up more pic's when I get it all mounted. Thanks for all of the ideas I just hope the one I picked to go with works :wrench:

Brandon

Back