• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 cherokee wont stay on!!

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj, 4.0, 6cyl, auto trans
I have barely drove her around since i got the newer grand cherokee with the same 4.0. except to alternate park it and randomly start her up to make sure she was still kicking.
everytime i would randomly start it though she would be dead
Im guessing from not driving her since Nov.
anyway a jump from the new jeep and she was in business again
once i drove her back in december and for the next 3 days she would start back up...
then after sitting again same problem
i decided to put my battery from my new jeep in (the old) and get a new battery for my new jeep
now im having a problem keeping her on!!! I start her and it sounds like she wants to shut off if i give it gas it sometimes bottles down and shuts off
i got it to run by randomly starting it one day and left her running then after about 4 or 5 minutes it started to sputter something crazy and violent and i gave her a lil throttle it shut off
the last things that were giving me problems were the cps it was starting to act up (im assuming because unplugging and pluggin help the problem)
i just want to b certain before i throw money at it
I am selling her so i want her running for whoever decides to buy
thanks for the help

Test the crank sensor.

200 ohm resistance, plus or minus 75 ohms.

hey i had a buyer today so i took out the cps.... funnny thing is before i touch the thing it was sting turning over but once i took out 1 bolt it wouldnt turnover any more.... so i changed the whole thing out and it still doesnt turn over..... what could it b? im lost

hey i had a buyer today so i took out the cps.... funnny thing is before i touch the thing it was sting turning over but once i took out 1 bolt it wouldnt turnover any more.... so i changed the whole thing out and it still doesnt turn over..... what could it b? im lost

sorry i meant "STILL" turning over... its a 88 xj, 4.0 l, 6cyl, auto
anyway im not sure whats to do next
fuel rail check of fuel.. i got a mist spray
put the headlights on and they were bright!!
if i doing this spark plug boot tester thing right i aint getting spark!!!
help ya are the best at these jeeps i always trust NAXJA please help.

Back