• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedXJ01

NAXJA Forum User
So I was just curious I have an 01 XJ with 193k miles, whats the best way to clean my engine. Could I take it out to take it all apart to clean all of the parts (pistons, rods, valves) with water or some cleaning agent? How long would this take and should I worry about cleaning it like that or should I just power wash the engine. I have no money so I cant buy new parts if I run into a problem, and if I ran into problems what would they be? Do I need a cherry picker and pull it from the top or does it drop from the bottom, do I have to take the tranny out with the engine? So whats the best way to be clean?

If you need to ask this, you should not be trying to do this.

Why not start this over by sharing with the rest of the class what it is you are trying to achieve.

LOL ... I would just take it down to a self serve car wash, open the hood and spray it off. I've done mine about 10 times over the past 20 years and it works fine. Also it's squeaky clean... I cook eggs on the manifold in the morning.

So I was just curious I have an 01 XJ with 193k miles, whats the best way to clean my engine. So whats the best way to be clean?

1.) use zip-loc bags to cover the distributor and the throttle body

2.) spray the remaining engine and bay with cheap-o oven cleaner

3.) drive to "do-it-yer-damn-self" car wash, and spray the poo out of it

I think Lucas makes an engine enema for the 4.0 that is administered through the tailpipe, but I have heard it causes the seals to swell and the muffler bearings to rust.

I dont know if i got lucky doing this or not, but i put plastic shopping bags over sensitive electronic parts. Then I covered the engine, not the alternator is gunk engine bright with like 3 cans, and then took my 5 hp honda pressure washer to it with a 40 degree tip and took off 195k miles of crud off. I didn't have one issue.

I don't know what you should do for the blinker fluid reservoir you might have to remove the head for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back