• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case drop kit vs SYE

mbarker9

NAXJA Forum User
What are the thoughts outthere. I just did a 3.5 inch RE super ride to my 99 and now it vibrates like crazy up to about 30 mph. I was told to replace the u-joins at the shop. I did but that didn't work. so here is my next guess.....

T-case drops are bandaids that are cheap fixes that usually always get changed out for an SYE.

I did it myself, since my RE kit came with them. It was like driving a new vehicle once I put the SYE in.

why lift it only to lower the most vunerable part of the jeep?

sye and don't look back.

if you have an auto/np231 equipped xj and 8.25 or dana44 rearend you can use a stock front shaft in the rear to save some money. it's the right length and will bolt to any heavy duty sye kit.

x2 on what the fine gentlemen above me have stated

I was unaware i could use my extra stock front driveshaft with an sye on my 8.25, that's awesome.

yup, very common to do that. saves from spending ridiculous amounts on an aftermarket shaft

i've been running a front shaft in the rear for a few years now first on a dana 35, then on an 8.25, and now on a d44

Just did mine with a front drive shaft this weekend and it worked out great. Zero vibe even at 75 on the freeway. And that vibe was driving me crazy

98, 242tcase, 4.5 lift, no tcase drop, 8.25 rear end

I used an Iron rock offroad hack 'n tap kit and an extra stock front shaft and i have NO vides ever.

92, 231, 6" lift, no drop and an 8.25 rear axle. I can run it on the highway at 80+ and its as smooth as a bone stock cherokee

So how do I go about's using a front driveshaft in the rear? just buy a sye? I've got 5 in of lift and a tcase drop and would like to do it right

Really, it's all about alignment. You lifted your Jeep and now the DS angles are not equal an opposite.

As for the lost clearance issue, Rusty's sells a 1" drop transfer case skid. You may also need to adjust the pinion angle to get the angles right, but they should be closer.

If you want to do a SYE conversion, it seems to me that the H&T option with a front DS is a good one. You will need to shim the rear axle to point the pinion upward toward the T-Case output, so add the cost of a pair of steel shims.

Back