• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought a 2000 XJ last week, need to service everything

machinisttx

NAXJA Forum User
AW4, 4.0, NP242, D35 rear.

It seems to be in good shape with 145k on it. I'm going to change the oil, along with the transmission fluid and filter, and transfer case fluid. Needs a new valve cover gasket, so I'll change that too.

I'm thinking about draining and refilling the differentials, but I'm not sure how to identify whether or not I have a traclok in the rear.

I'm also a little confused on which type of ATF to use in the transmission and transfer case.

Also, the full time 4wd indicator on the dash does not illuminate. The part time indicator does. I figure it's probably a burned out bulb. Not sure if it's worth worrying about.

Last edited:
Use Dexron-III/Mercon.

In the pic below, open diff on the LEFT, TracLoc on the RIGHT

Cherokee Fluid Capacities

Engine Oil
-2.5L (4cyl) - 4.0 Quarts (3.8L)
-4.0L (6cyl) - 6.0 Quarts (5.7L)

Cooling System
-2.5L (4cyl) - 9.0 Quarts (8.5L)
-4.0L (6cyl) - 10.5 Quarts (9.9L)

Automatic Transmission
-4.0L (6cyl) The AW-4 Automatic Transmission uses
Transmission Fluid labeled Dexron-III/Mercon.

- Drain and Re-fill = 4 Quarts (3.8L)
- Filter and complete fluid exchange = 8 Quarts (7.8 L)

-2.5L (4cyl) Chrysler/Mopar Automatic Transmissions use
ATF+3 or ATF+4 Type 7176

Manual Transmission
-AX-5 5 speed manual - 3.3 quarts 75W-90 GL3 or GL4 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some Owners Manuals)
-AX-15 5 speed manual - 3.32 quarts 75W-90 GL3 or GL4 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some Owners Manuals)
-NV3550 5 speed manual - 2.1 quarts Mopar fluid part # 04874464AA or Snychromax (meets Mopar MS-9224 specs)

The NLGI specs are important - typical NLGI GL-5 gear oil carries added sulphur used as an Extreme Pressure (EP) lubricant. Especially when heated, sulphur is antagonistic to yellow (copper-based) metals - and the synchronizer rings and any bushings in the AX-15 are bronze. Most synthetic gear oils are rated GL-5 and are listed as "safe for use with yellow metals."

Unlike API specs (to API Service SL/CJ-4,) NLGI Service specifications are not reverse-compatible. Well-stocked parts houses will have both NLGI GL-3 and NLGI GL-5 mineral-based gear oil in stock all the time.

If you want to use a synthetic (RedLine, AmsOil, etc.) either check the back of the bottle or check the manufacturer's website to make sure it's safe for use with yellow metal - using sulphur-bearing gear oils usually results in draining your synchronizer rings at your next fluid change...

Transfer Case
-NV231 Part-Time (Command-Trac) - 2.2 Pints (1.0L)
Dexron III/Mercon

-NV242 Full-Time (Selec-Trac) – 2.85 Pints (1.3L)
Dexron III/Mercon

Front Axle
-Dana 30 - 2.5 Pts (1.2L) SAE 75W-90

Rear Axle
-When equipped, Trac-Lok Limited Slip rear axles require 4 ounces
of Friction Modifier Additive

-Dana 35 - 3.5 Pints (1.66L) SAE 75W-90
-Dana 44 - 4.0 Pints (1.89L) SAE 75W-90
-Chrysler 8.25 - 4.4 Pints (2.0L) SAE 75W-90

For towing and off-road use SAE 75-140 synthetic

standard.jpg

Back