• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper thickness????

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
looking for some honest opinions here.

I have some 3x3x.125 square tubing that i want to use for a front bumper. I am gonna have d-ring mounts tied into the unibody mounts(will be 1/4") and then 2 more overlapping layers welded together for 3/4" at the tabs.

i am gonna shape it like this.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ghlight=bumper

i will weld a piece of the tube in between the two mounts then cut a square hole for a receiver and of course cut and angle the end ups yada yada. Maybe run some more bracing from the rear of the hitch out tho the mounts, or some other type of reinforcement.

This isnt my first time building a bumper either built front and rears on the old xj out of 2x2x.250. They were ugly but work very well numerous times.

My long term goal is to run power front and rear for a receiver mounted winch. That way its out of the elements when im not using it and easy to put in front or back.

let me know what you guys think?

mind this is going to be all FREE steel so its budget minded

Also ive searched my little butt off looking at all kinds of bumpers

now :flame: on

sorry, so what is the question?
will it be thick enough?
if so, thick enough to do what?

I'll give it a shot;
1. strong enough to be a bumper, yes
2. strong enough to protect, well yes more-so then stock, but less then a thicker material.
3. to attach tow points too, I'd say yes if you have the 1/4" tie in plates going through slots in the square tube, then the 2 overlapping that for your 3/4" thick points... yes that is strong enough to tow from.
4. you can find many aftermarket bumpers made from rather thin sheet metal. even winch bumpers, providing they are re-enforced in the proper places (gussets, bracing, brackets, winch plate thickness being thicker, etc)

you nailed it that what i was looking for.

I am gonna gusset the rear of the receiver to the rear of the 3x3 that i think i might weld a piece 0f 1/4 plate to with the square cut out of it. So on the back side it will be 3/8 thich with some gusseting.

on the sides im just gonna stick with the 1/8 seeing as it is visual/some fender protection.

Back