• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arms with 4.5" lift?

eatsleepoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
i have a '00 XJ with a 3" lift as of right now and im going to a 4.5" in a couple weeks. im running stock control arms but i know im going to have to replace them when i go up to 4.5"... any suggestions? adjustable vs. fixed? how long is the common length for 4.5" of lift? i really dont want to spend the money on adjustable ones because im going to set them once and leave them be. im not going higher than 4.5
any input would be great! ---Justin

You can use stock LCA's if you run drop brackets.. Cheapest way.
Long arms are the best way to go though.

I would go short arms, fixed length for 4" lift (around $99 or $130) and use a lower control arm shim to get it set perfect...

you don't want to mess up and get a 4.5" fixed setup and later on when you are sagging a little not be able to get out front angles correct

you can shim the lower control arms up to 3/4"

the big issue with stock lowers is that at 4.5" lift you would only get 2" or so of suspension down travel before the control arm will smack the axle side mount

the upper control arms will be fine up to 4.5", they is not a clearance issue on the uppers either above that they will need changed

Last edited:
It is still hard to get the right angles unless you get adjustable uppers

would fixed upper and lowers for a 4" lift solve the problem?

i assume they are cheaper than adjustables which is probably the right way to do it but i dont really want to drop $300+ on CA's. and then once it settles it should be perfect no?

how do i shim the lowers if i just bought adjustable uppers?

best way to do it is get fixed upper and lower. You probably can get fixed length uppers that will work. I ran fixed lowers and stock uppers. Problem was that to have correct caster my springs kept getting into my bumps and it freakin annoying. drivelime angle was terrible too. maybe adjustable upper and fixed lower then use shims on the lower to get the correct caster

so if i spent the money and got fixed uppers and lowers for a 4" lift would my angles be fine? i dont want to get them and then wish that i got adj. ones because my angles are messed up.

wouldnt it make more sense to leave the stock uppers and get adj. lowers?

wont the longer lowers push my axle back where it should be?

Think about it. As you lift the vehicle the arms swing down and your pinion will be pointed too low. If you extend the lowers but not the upprs you are making the problem worse. You will have to have the lowers As short as possible to get somewhat of a correct caster and your driveline angle still wont be great. Then since your axle is so far back your springs get in the bumps and when it unloads it sounds likea gun is going off. I went long arms and its perfect now. I would suggest not cheaping out and invest in at least adjustable arms. A step up from that would be adj arms and ca drop brackets. Next step up would be long arms. I have heard good things about midarms at that height but you are talking custom.

Yeah I don't think I wana do long arms yet. I guess I'll bite the bullet and do adj uppers and lowers.

Would anyone happen to know the approximate length from eye-to-eye the ca's would have to be to have a decent caster angle?

Yeah I don't think I wana do long arms yet. I guess I'll bite the bullet and do adj uppers and lowers.

Would anyone happen to know the approximate length from eye-to-eye the ca's would have to be to have a decent caster angle?

Get some adjustable control arms from Andy at IronMan4x4fab

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/XJ_Inventory.html

His arms have up to 4" of adjustment so you will have plenty to play with and get it right. He overbuilds his stuff so they will outlast your jeep.

cool thanks guys! i think im guna go with his arms. pretty affordable too!

that chart shows 15" uppers up until 5" of lift. why not get fixed uppers at 15" length and adj. lowers to adjust caster?

thanks for all the help!! i really appreciate it!

cool thanks guys! i think im guna go with his arms. pretty affordable too!

that chart shows 15" uppers up until 5" of lift. why not get fixed uppers at 15" length and adj. lowers to adjust caster?

thanks for all the help!! i really appreciate it!

15" is the stock length and "estimated" length for up to 5" but when I had 4" I needed to adjust my uppers just a tad bit longer. Just go with adjustables so you are set and never have to get another set of arms again.

4-1/2" is borderline for short arms.... they will be at a steep angle transferring every "bump" to the frame and when you hit something off road, the axle will want to dig "down" rather than up.

I rocked 4-1/2" for 7 years... it worked OK... So I can't say "don't do it"... But, if you can make your own or afford a kit, consider long arms...

Mine finally developed a critical case of Death Wobble that I simply couldn't cure (think the body was tweaked... My final solution was 1 ton axles and leaf springs :) The ride is incredible as is the flex...

Once again, I did this for a LOT of years... if you HAVE the option for long arms.. just give it some thought...

Yes... I did have upper and lower adjustable arms... JKS... very, very nice parts... At that level of lift... having both adjustable is a good idea...

Back