• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me pick a locker!

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
I will be picking up a locker soon. I will have a budget of about 400 bucks and i will be doing my Saden A/C conversion.

Here is my driving style-

On road-75% easy throttle, 15% moderate throttle, 10% HAMMER DOWN

Off-road terrain includes-
Snow, Mud, Rocks, Rutty/Rooty trail, and Thick sticky Clay.

My rig is an '89 D30/'94 sport 8.25 THIS IS MY DD i drive it everyday and use it for road trips(sometimes:looney:)

off road i am a crawler and use throttle when needed

I am picking either ONE OR THE OTHER. this is to determine wether i want to get a front or rear locker.

The first choice-Dana 30 LockRight-$310.00

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha..._Code=rustys&Product_Code=2210&Category_Code=

The Second Choice- Chrysler (27) 8.25 LockRight-$380.00

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha..._Code=rustys&Product_Code=1230&Category_Code=

The Third Choice- Dana 30 Spartan LockRight-$239.90-free shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...arQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_559wt_732

Your Input and experiences are wanted, BUT, IF YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE DONT GIVE ME YOUR INPUT
If you have any other ideas please feel free to share them.

Like i said i drive this everyday but will hopefully sell my BMW and pick up another DD.

Much appreciated,

PJ

Last edited:
SEARCH NEWB. :roflmao:

Gets brought up all the time. My vote, based on years of experience and having run rigs with a single locker in each end at different times, is to do the rear axle first, UNLESS it's a D35. People will argue that the front will help "pull" you over things, etc. The MAJORITY of the time, you are CLIMBING an obstacle, and therefore the majority of the weight is on the rear axle. I'd rather have both wheels going with 75% of the vehicle weight on them, rather than both fronts pulling with only 25% of the vehicle weight on them.

John

lol i read it on another thread though it was relevant to your interests. based on johns information and due to the fact you dont have a d35 i would put a locker in the rear first.

and i do have some (not much) experance with this. i was out with jonesinxj and we were doing a rock crawl. he has a spartin in his front and a (un)limited slip in his 8.8

here is the vid of what im talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10w-QfX1zkk
if you like my input coo. if not just ignore me lol

lol i read it on another thread though it was relevant to your interests. based on johns information and due to the fact you dont have a d35 i would put a locker in the rear first.

and i do have some (not much) experance with this. i was out with jonesinxj and we were doing a rock crawl. he has a spartin in his front and a (un)limited slip in his 8.8

here is the vid of what im talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10w-QfX1zkk
if you like my input coo. if not just ignore me lol

Dunno what's up with that driver. I could have made it up that little hill with a bit of throttle and momentum. Did he even attempt a different line?

But anyways, to the OP, why isn't the Aussie Locker one of your choices?

Dunno what's up with that driver. I could have made it up that little hill with a bit of throttle and momentum. Did he even attempt a different line?

But anyways, to the OP, why isn't the Aussie Locker one of your choices?

x2 but what do I know....

Wheeled with just a rear locker for two years. Got through some seriously hard stuff. Since you drive a lot on the street, definitely get a rear first.

Even now that I have an ARB in the front, it's only been working intermittantly, so I do lots of stuff still with only the rear locked. I'm amazed at the trails I've gotten through not needing the front locker.

And like its been said above, 90% of the time you are climbing on a trail or obstacle so most of the weight is on the rear end. A front locker will do nothing for you in this situation.

Ben, thank you that was more relevant.

As to the question of the aussie locker, I am on a budget of no more than 400 bucks.

starting to lean towards locking the rear.

with a locker will i lose any strength or whatnot?

Also do i have to reshim the carrier or whatever? or is it just straight forward remove and install

Ben, thank you that was more relevant.

As to the question of the aussie locker, I am on a budget of no more than 400 bucks.

starting to lean towards locking the rear.

with a locker will i lose any strength or whatnot?

Also do i have to reshim the carrier or whatever? or is it just straight forward remove and install

The aussie lockers are less than $400. Mine was $249. it's available for your front but not the 27 spline 8.25.

lock the middle. it's the best inbetween. gives just the right amount of traction both front and rear, and most middle lockers will be under $400

lock the middle. it's the best inbetween. gives just the right amount of traction both front and rear, and most middle lockers will be under $400

hahahah

If you are looking for a budget locker. I would say go with Spartan locker. They are completely backed by Randy's Ring and Pinion which is local to the PNW, IF you break it, take it out bring it back to them with the receipt and they WILL give you a new one no questions asked. Just make sure you do not order it through EBAY.
IMO they are better built then the lock-rights (larger pins) I dont know about Aussie brand, but I know I have heard great things. When I bought mine, the warrenty itself sold me.

What transfer case do you have? If you have a 242 I would lock the rear first. But if you have a 231 lock the front. I have the spartan in the front of mine, when I drive on the street, I hardly ever notice it, as there is no power going to the front tires.

so i just searched for the spartan locker on randy's ring and pinion. damn. not easy to find. the only d30 application it's listed under is for a tj. they don't even list any lockers for the hp30. not sure if the spiders are the same or not.

so i just searched for the spartan locker on randy's ring and pinion. damn. not easy to find. the only d30 application it's listed under is for a tj. they don't even list any lockers for the hp30. not sure if the spiders are the same or not.

They are all the same. 84-05. 27 spline IIRC

I know the randy's site isnt the easiest to navigate, its best to just call :)

Last edited:
If you are looking for a budget locker. I would say go with Spartan locker. They are completely backed by Randy's Ring and Pinion which is local to the PNW, IF you break it, take it out bring it back to them with the receipt and they WILL give you a new one no questions asked. Just make sure you do not order it through EBAY.
IMO they are better built then the lock-rights (larger pins) I dont know about Aussie brand, but I know I have heard great things. When I bought mine, the warrenty itself sold me.

What transfer case do you have? If you have a 242 I would lock the rear first. But if you have a 231 lock the front. I have the spartan in the front of mine, when I drive on the street, I hardly ever notice it, as there is no power going to the front tires.

Here is the locker for the rear or my rig. http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=1468

I have the New Process 231 t-case. but i am leaning heavily towards a rear locker. but i see nothing about a warranty.

it also says "These units are not recommended for applications with high horsepower or large tires." are 33's considered large tires?

Last edited:
Here is the locker for the rear or my rig. http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=1468

I have the New Process 231 t-case. but i am leaning heavily towards a rear locker. but i see nothing about a warranty.

it also says "These units are not recommended for applications with high horsepower or large tires." are 33's considered large tires?

Yes, 33s would be considered large. If you are hammering down on rocks or any other high traction terrain, you will be breaking a lot more axle shafts in the end with the locker in it :jester:

Back