• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Completed some small projects

hollywood32

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've been working on getting my jeep back to being trail worthy and while a wait for some parts to arrive I've been tying up some projects that I've always been meaning to do but haven't got around to it.

First is a sliding draw for the rear cargo area to hold all my crap. I want to keep the spare tire in the back and as low as possible for wieght and visibility reasons. Strapping things down in bags just hasn't worked out very well because it takes forever to get stuff out and then I get lazy or forgetfull and don't strap everything back down properly and pretty soon stuff is bouncing around. Also I discovered a little while back that when straps break they tend to fling projectiles around the inside of the cab. Box is made from 3/4" plywood with heavy duty sliders and then carpeted to reduce noise.

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

The other project I finished was a set of custom Jumper cables out of some left over 2 gauge welding cable that I used for updating the battery cables in the jeep. I've had this idea for a while I just never got around to making them. I made the cables with high amp connectors so I could convert them to battery welding easily. I'm not 100% sure they will work exactly like I think since I've never stick welded in my life but I think the idea is solid.

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

Now all I have to do is wait for my shocks to arrive and then, wait some more, for my tax return so I can buy tires, then all that is left before I can get back on the trail is cutting the spring buckets off and welding in some new ones and installing the new electric front locker that I've been putting off for a little while now. Oh well at least I've still got some stuff done.

Last edited:
Or a round piece of 1/2" plywood to fit in the wheel. Small hole on the middle. Then use the stock half round in back for mounting with the wing nut.

Looks good, but If you still have a rear hatch I'd find somewhere else to mount that maglite or get a full clip mount for it. those push in holders tend to let them go flying, and it's pointing right at your rear window :D

Looks good, but If you still have a rear hatch I'd find somewhere else to mount that maglite or get a full clip mount for it. those push in holders tend to let them go flying, and it's pointing right at your rear window :D

Thanks Grimm, I will be moving it, I found that I need to move a few things around, my first aid bag no longer fits easily now that the box is there and it doesn't seem like a good idea to have a first aid kit that you can not easily get out. So I'm thinking of moving the OBA tank to the drivers side rear window area, that should let me put the first aid bag on the passenger side roll cage and make it easily seen and removed in case some one other than me needs to get at it. I'm sure that will mean I have to move something else since my cargo area always seems to behave like a 3 dimensional puzzle with missing pieces.:rattle:

not knowing what else you store in your cargo area, looks like you could also lower your air tank. back to the lower cg idea

looks good. i can think of a few more XJ projects that you got done recently too. Thanks

Back