• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case indetification

dvlfsh9

NAXJA Forum User
I am sure this is a rookie question but i will ask anyway. Can any one tell me how to identify my transfer case? Is there a spot on the case anywhere that might give me a hint of what kind i have? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

there's a round tag on the back of the transfercase. tell us what year you have and the transfercase modes displayed by the shift level and you may not have to crawl under it.

When you look down at the transfer case shift lever what does it say next to it?

231 Case

• 2H
  • 4H
  • N
  • 4 Low

242 Case

• 2H
  • 4 Part Time
  • 4 Full Time
  • N
  • 4 Low

Ok we have an 89 without the infamous c101 connector. It is the Laredo model but I don't think that changes much mechanicly. Our transfer case does have the 2H-4PT-4FT-N-4L so I may assume this is the Transfer case we have. Is this good or bad?

Ok we have an 89 without the infamous c101 connector. It is the Laredo model but I don't think that changes much mechanicly. Our transfer case does have the 2H-4PT-4FT-N-4L so I may assume this is the Transfer case we have. Is this good or bad?

Personally, I love the 242 transfer case. I've swapped it into my TJ, had it on my '98XJ, and will be swapping one into my '99XJ in the morning.

There isn't as much after market support as the 231 and some say that it's slightly weaker then the 231, but overall it's a great case and should stand up to some good abuse.

scott00tj, thanks for the beta. I should have the front driveline rebuilt by mid week and give this old 242 a test. Have a great day.

Back