• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Grand Waggy Dana 44s

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
Found a 88 Grand Waggy with D44's front and rear in the JY. Anyone know much about these? Desirable swap for an xj????

Ups - they are a great width for a swap, very close to stock XJ width with the exception of wide tracks, which are not common in my experience. Also, they are D44's - an upgrade from stock.

Downs - many rears are off center, and that turns a lotta people off. The fronts are low pinion. Also, there are some vacuum disconnects out there that are not desirable for the same reasons people are not crazy about D30's that have it. There is a huge box on the driver side of the pumpkin that you can't miss if it indeed vacuum disconnect.

there is a sticky telling you 98% of what you will need to know

the rear is a bolt in ordeal minus shock mounts as long as its the centered 44 rear. the fronts are not but plenty of people run them.

What is the common gear ratio these came with?

35's locked...how often would I break or should I just be looking for 1 tons?

Not often. I run 35s on my 30 without breaking. (Sue me)

I'm building a Waggy 44 now. Stick some Alloy shafts in it and never look back. Don't go full width.

Trust me I have read that MANY times. I didnt know the grand waggy was the same as the waggy axle mentioned. Also real life experience is what I was looking for

Bump....anyone have any more info about this???? Want 35s/maybe 36's locked BADLY.

just make sure the front doesnt have the disconnect, a 88 shouldnt.
it will look like this
Dana44_FSJ_83_Jeep_vacuumdisco_87xjco.jpg

Bump....anyone have any more info about this???? Want 35s/maybe 36's locked BADLY.

More info about what? Whether they are the same as 80-84? The ones with 44s are the same. As repeatedly mentioned, you don't want the vacuum disconnect. The non-vacuum disconnect will have a normal looking diff cover :laugh3:
They remained the same width and everything. 3.55 was a common gear ratio.

Last edited:
Back