• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not so common Trans Leak AW4

49erRider

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I searched and couldn't really find any of the same symptoms I'm seeing and I can't find the leak.

Anyways in a 2000xj I just did a 4x4 conversion so new trans/case.

I've been leaking some transmission fluid since the swap. At first it was the cooler lines but I swapped out the fittings and that went away. Next I noticed my cross-member would be wet from trans fluid all across the bottom of it. I cleaned it up thinking it was still from the cooler lines earlier and it would get "wet" again.

Today I pulled the cross-member to take a look and I still can not find a spot that looks soaked or like its leaking other than where the case mounts to the cross-member. Everything involving that was wet. I also noticed a "drip" on the shift linkage on the case. I took plenty of pictures so please please please throw some ideas at me.

Cross member out you can see the fluid buildup is where the mount meets the cross-member.
43b55931.jpg

Underside of mount the part that connects to the 4 studs. You can see the fluid on it.
39104d82.jpg

You can see the build-up where the mount meets the case.
92f01702.jpg

Right Side
7d8247f7.jpg

Left Side
f02a83c6.jpg

Shift Linkage with a small drip
7072746d.jpg

Don't see any leakage where the trans and case meet: Left Side
73e09132.jpg

Right Side
20c80603.jpg

Thanks for the help! 2000xj recent 4x4 swap

It could be leaking between the trans and transfer case. Either the seal from the output of the trans, or the seal from the input of the transfer case. The question is, which one is losing the fluid? Check the fluid levels of both, to see which one is leaking first.

I notice you have a gasket of some sort in between the T case and the trans... I've never seen that on my AW4's. Just like IH said which one lost the fluid? once that's established the search will become alot easier.

Ok I think what is driving me crazy and making me not want to pull the case is I don't see a "source" of the leak just built up areas. Any chance it is just trapped fluid from when my cooler lines were bad?

So if I pull the case will it be obvious which seals are bad or should I just replace all that I see?

Ok,

Got everything cleaned off really well this morning put that sucker back together took it for a 5 minute test drive and came home to this:

6545d747.jpg

Which has me believe it is either the rear output of the trans or the front case seal right?

I'm leaning towards Rear output of trans just because the fluid was pretty bright red and the stuff in the transmission is new.

What do you think?

I had the same leak after I replaced a transfercase, and after putting a new rear output seal in the tranny, the leak stopped.

Back