• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Express long arm Or not?

BotakBeng

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I know Rubicon Express is closed for now.....hopefully not for long.

Anyway, i may be able to strike a GOOD deal with one of my local auto shop for a set of new RE6200 or a RE6300 (longarm).

I'm a COMPLETE NEWBIE and have no access to any welding tools.
Based on what i read of the Rubicon Express instructions, i would need to do some welding if i choose the RE6300, so my questions are,

1)Should i get the RE6300 and get someone to install or just stick to RE6200 and do it myself. Appreciate if someone can advise me on the pros and cons of having a longarm.
2)Is there a way to install the RE6300 without any welding?
3)Or should i head for other brand just in case there is no more Rubicon Express replacement parts?

Thx in advance.

The drop bracket kit is the not-long arm kit. It has drop brackets for the frame side of the short arms. It improves the angles of the short arms.

Yes. Many people have run that kit for a long time with great success.

Thx again Phil.

Would you agreed that since i have limited source and knowledge of doing the long arm, i should stay with the short arm instead? (long arm is gonna cost me another $150 + about $600 if i seek professional help for installation)

If money isn't an issue I would go with the long arms even if I had to get it installed. And you may want to wait to see if Rubicon Express makes it through bankrupcy or whatever is going on over there right now. It would suck to buy a lift and then not be able to get any replacement parts for it.

If money isn't an issue I would go with the long arms even if I had to get it installed. And you may want to wait to see if Rubicon Express makes it through bankrupcy or whatever is going on over there right now. It would suck to buy a lift and then not be able to get any replacement parts for it.

The deal was tooo good to pass :laugh:
I'm concern if there is a huge difference between the two.

Any comment?

There is a substantial difference between the two, as stated above. One kit consists of drop brackets while the other does away with the lower control arm mounts all together and has longarms mounted further back on a new subframe.

I have the longarm kit and did not have to weld anything (IIRC the welding is recommended for strengthening but not entirely needed right away).

What kind of deal can you get? I grabbed the 6300 kit new last summer because I found it with free shipping and 4 free Monotube shocks included. I thought that was a pretty good deal..

There is a substantial difference between the two, as stated above. One kit consists of drop brackets while the other does away with the lower control arm mounts all together and has longarms mounted further back on a new subframe.

I have the longarm kit and did not have to weld anything (IIRC the welding is recommended for strengthening but not entirely needed right away).

What kind of deal can you get? I grabbed the 6300 kit new last summer because I found it with free shipping and 4 free Monotube shocks included. I thought that was a pretty good deal..

No welding?:shocked:
Are you absolutely positive?

How was the install? (i'm a COMPLETE NEWBIE but i did a RMS replacement recently tho :read:)

btw, i'm expecting about a g for the RE6200 :shhh:

Dont waste your money with a company like RE. In my opinion the company has gone to crap and their customer service is by far the worst in the industry. If you want a company who truly stands behind their products then go with Clayton.

Dont waste your money with a company like RE. In my opinion the company has gone to crap and their customer service is by far the worst in the industry. If you want a company who truly stands behind their products then go with Clayton.
I hear you Royal, thats probably why the company is going thru some "re-organizing"......but the deal i was given was toooo good to pass.

No welding?:shocked:
Are you absolutely positive?

How was the install? (i'm a COMPLETE NEWBIE but i did a RMS replacement recently tho :read:)

btw, i'm expecting about a g for the RE6200 :shhh:

Welding the control arm mounts to the unibody is stated in the instructions, but since I don't have a welder and I did the install in my garage, I skipped this part for now. Once I start wheeling harder when I have time in the summer I'll probably do the welding. However, I don't see it as entirely necessary right away since the subframe seems pretty solid just with the bolts. Other longarm kits like Rustys has less bolt-on subframe attachment than RE's kit and they don't require welding. Someone please chime in if they've come across any problems by not welding right away. I've only driven a few hundred miles on this kit so far without any trouble.

I would however recommend using an oxyacetylene torch or plasma cutter to cut off the factory LCA mounts unless you want to spent hours drilling out the pinchwelds and taking an angle grinder/cutting wheel to it.

The install went smoothly for the most part..but stupid problems like the old leafspring bolts being frozen in the sleeves dragged the time on. I mention some of this stuff in my build thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031475&page=3

Make sure you hit all the old bolts with PB Blaster daily atleast a week before you start trying to take stuff apart. A good quality drill with a large chuck (1/2") is a must since you'll be doing alot of drilling.

:wave1:
Welding the control arm mounts to the unibody is stated in the instructions, but since I don't have a welder and I did the install in my garage, I skipped this part for now. Once I start wheeling harder when I have time in the summer I'll probably do the welding. However, I don't see it as entirely necessary right away since the subframe seems pretty solid just with the bolts. Other longarm kits like Rustys has less bolt-on subframe attachment than RE's kit and they don't require welding. Someone please chime in if they've come across any problems by not welding right away. I've only driven a few hundred miles on this kit so far without any trouble.

I would however recommend using an oxyacetylene torch or plasma cutter to cut off the factory LCA mounts unless you want to spent hours drilling out the pinchwelds and taking an angle grinder/cutting wheel to it.

The install went smoothly for the most part..but stupid problems like the old leafspring bolts being frozen in the sleeves dragged the time on. I mention some of this stuff in my build thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031475&page=3

Make sure you hit all the old bolts with PB Blaster daily atleast a week before you start trying to take stuff apart. A good quality drill with a large chuck (1/2") is a must since you'll be doing alot of drilling.
Thx for the link Snail.:thumbup:

I'm sold!
Gonna try and get the long arm instead (if the deal fall thru) and i'm sure i get some help here if i ran into any problem, which i probably will.

Worst case scenario........set up a LIFT :party: huh?
RSVP

Wish me luck :D.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on the status of Rubicon Express if you end up grabbing their kit. If they do infact go under (hopefully not) you may want to stock up on their bushings and other rebuildable joints for that kit cause I don't know if any others are interchangable

Im sure companies like daystar will see the demand and start making them. Someone is probably just gonna buy the name.

$1,000 would be a fine deal on that short arm kit. Its very complete, and will make your jeep look really sweet!

Keep an eye on the status of Rubicon Express if you end up grabbing their kit. If they do infact go under (hopefully not) you may want to stock up on their bushings and other rebuildable joints for that kit cause I don't know if any others are interchangable
10-4!
Very good idea!
Im sure companies like daystar will see the demand and start making them. Someone is probably just gonna buy the name.

$1,000 would be a fine deal on that short arm kit. Its very complete, and will make your jeep look really sweet!
:cheers:.

I run mostly RE stuff with the RC longarm upgrade , seems like a decent product for the money!

Another TOTAL NEWBIE question.....
Since i have to remove the lower control arm bracket permanently, does it mean that i can NEVER swap for other suspension kit in the future (ex. Iron Rock kit)?

Thx again for all the comment :thumbup:

btw, i havn't got a single rsvp for the :party: yet.......wish i live in CA :(

Last edited:
Back