• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RUNNING RICH

whats your rpm speed at idle? I had a similar problem on mines running rich and it turned out the be the IAC that went bad. Your cats could also be going bad aswell as a number of other things.

It idles around 700 in neutral and about 500 when in gear, give or take. I havent noticed any black smoke but it just smells real rich.do you think if i put a high flow muffler on it, it would help

It idles around 700 in neutral and about 500 when in gear, give or take. I havent noticed any black smoke but it just smells real rich.do you think if i put a high flow muffler on it, it would help

I wish mine idled that high:( 300rpm at times even less, chugs like a John Deere 2 cylinder LOL!

I have this mysterious gas smell at idle as well and have had it for 4 years. I don't have any fuel leaks but you might so check for that first before you torch a XJ!

I would also test all of your grounds in the engine bay, test all of the RENIX input(sensors) and output(fuel injectors, IAC, EGR etc.) as per the RENIX FSM manual.

Your exhaust system will have little to do with a gas smell other than if you have an exhaust leak pre-O2 sensor

I wish mine idled that high:( 300rpm at times even less, chugs like a John Deere 2 cylinder LOL!

I have this mysterious gas smell at idle as well and have had it for 4 years. I don't have any fuel leaks but you might so check for that first before you torch a XJ!

I would also test all of your grounds in the engine bay, test all of the RENIX input(sensors) and output(fuel injectors, IAC, EGR etc.) as per the RENIX FSM manual.

Your exhaust system will have little to do with a gas smell other than if you have an exhaust leak pre-O2 sensor

If you are sure there are no leaks, try swapping out the gas cap. I bought a locking one that didn't seal well from when it was brand new. I frequently could smell raw gas and was obviously concerned. Ordered a new factory one form the dealer and the smell went away. Not meaning to derail the thread, but if you are smelling raw fuel, there is a problem and it could be dangerous.:flame:

Search in this forum for threads with key words "Renix O2, oxygen sensor, rich fuel poor mpg". Learn how to use a multi meter, digital meters will do several tests but a good low impedance analog multi meter is better for your year jeep for testing the TPS and O2 sensor.

Bad O2 sensor is the most common cause. CTS, MAT and MAP sensor problems can cause it, as well as worn out spark plugs, plug wires, distributor rotor and cap.

The answer is quite simple.

You have unburned hydrocarbons coming from your vehicle and polluting the atmosphere.

Lots of reasons this could be going on.

1. Lack of routine maintenance: plugs, cap (brass contacts only, please), rotor, plug wires, air filter.

2. Lack of extended maintenance: injectors, o2 sensor.

3. Crack in exhaust manifold upstream of o2 sensor.

4. Low compression.

5. Weak spark.

6. MAP sensor.

7. EGR system.

8. MAT sensor.

9. CTS sensor.

10. Bad thermostat.

11. Leaking fuel lines.

Once you have checked or tested all of those, post up what you find.

The answer is quite simple.

You have unburned hydrocarbons coming from your vehicle and polluting the atmosphere.

Lots of reasons this could be going on.

1. Lack of routine maintenance: plugs, cap (brass contacts only, please), rotor, plug wires, air filter.

2. Lack of extended maintenance: injectors, o2 sensor.

3. Crack in exhaust manifold upstream of o2 sensor.

4. Low compression.

5. Weak spark.

6. MAP sensor.

7. EGR system.

8. MAT sensor.

9. CTS sensor.

10. Bad thermostat.

11. Leaking fuel lines.

Once you have checked or tested all of those, post up what you find.

You forgot #12!!!!!

Back