• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coolant is missing

bert01xj

NAXJA Forum User
first off it is 01 xj 4.0 6 cyl. my oil is not creamy and there is no puddles. now it doesn't get driven very far as it only takes 7 min to get to work and i am out for two to three nights. so where could my coolant be going. if i have to check the head how do i go about doing that. do i pull the head. where else could it be going? pls help me!

look at the thermostat housing gasket. i have had a couple in the shop that they have leaked and the coolant followed the parting line of the head and ran down the back of the block. are you running the red coolant. that stuff when it leaks seems to crust up more than it actually leaks.do you access to a radiator pressure tester. if so put the system under pressure and look for small leaks by the radiator. check the inside floor for signs of a heater core leaking

I can't even begin to count the number of threads I've seen that parrot yours-- about 80% of them from owners of 0331 heads end in a cylinder head replacement:cry:

I'd use the aforementioned pressure tester and inspect the area under the valve cover for leaks. If you can't find anything on initial checking, it might help to bring her up to operating temperature and try again-- just leave the radiator cap off 'til it gets up to temp. and then install the pressure tester.

If the coolant level is dropping in your reservoir, you are either leaking it or burning it.

1. Perform a COMPREHENSIVE search for a leak. You must do this before moving on. Best to get it up on a hoist with a hot pressurized engine and a good light.

2. If there is no leak, it is very likely that you have a cracked head. A high percentage of 0331 head owners can physically see the leak by pulling the valve cover and inspecting the area between cylinders 3-4 with a good light. There is a known casting defect there and that is where all 0331 heads crack.

You need to figure this out because if your problem is #2 (above), the coolant is slowly ruining the engine bearings.

Replace the radiator cap. They go bad and will leak steam, ending up causing a loss of coolant that can't be seen.

My 97 did this (not the 0331 head...) traced to a bad head gasket. I pulled the plugs after running it and found steam coming out of the number 1 plug port. New gasket and problem solved.

Where does coolant go:

1. It goes into the oil in the engine. Cracked head, cracked block, head gasket.

2. It goes into the ATF fluid in the transmission. Bad radiator.

3. It goes out the tailpipe. Bad head gasket.

4. It goes into the carpet. Bad heater core.

5. It goes into the wind. Bad radiator, bad hose, bad clamp(s), bad WP.

6. It boils away. Bad radiator cap.

How fast does it leak of it is the head? I put a new cap on for three dollars. Also a new lower hose just because I have the powersteering pump out for replacement. Thought why I have the room and it will be easy I should do it

My '00 has slowly used coolant since I got it. Mayonnaise on the bottom of the oil fill cap. Won't use much on short runs, but after it gets warmed up fully and runs high speed, it uses more. If you've got the mayo, your head is likely cracked like mine. I've been planning to swap in a '98 head since I figured it out.

My 1990 does the exact same thing. No coolant in the oil no steam out the exhaust but I do see moister on the passenger side of the engine block originating at the seam of the head to engine block from pretty much front to back no moister on the drivers side though. I have not performed a compression check or a coolant system pressure check yet. It does seem to be an obvious head gasket problem.

Back