• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231D HD compatible?

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
Will this transfer case from a 99 dodge durango work behind my ax-15 99 xj? I can get a good deal on it and it has a fixed yoke so I wouldn't need an sye. Let me know what you guys think.

I've got a 231D HD that I'm playing with now, the 231J and DHD had the same input shafts, 23 spline short. I do not know what it came out of, it did have the wide chain, but not the 6 pinion planetary.

If I recall correctly the case from the dodge will not work because it will not clock properly, but you can transfer all the parts out of the dodge case into the jeep one.

If I recall correctly the case from the dodge will not work because it will not clock properly, but you can transfer all the parts out of the dodge case into the jeep one.

What do you mean it won't clock correctly? The cases are nearly identical:
01 XJ/AW4
DSC00079.jpg

NP231D HD
DSC00078.jpg

DSC00001-1.jpg

231J is the muddy one
DSC00077.jpg

Last edited:
It's my understanding (from surfing the web) that the 231D's chain, sprocket and planetary gears will fit in the 231J. This would give the stock tcase a wide chain/sprocket and 6 planetary gears. I haven't found anyone locally that has done it, but it's on my list of mods to do.

I'm interested to see where this goes.

Yes, the planetary gears and chain/sprockets from the Dodge will swap to the Jeep, and vice versa. The Dodge case pictured above actually has a Jeep tail shaft, tail housing, and Tera 2 low swapped in it. The tail shaft and housing were only a test fit, but since it worked I'm putting a JB conversions S/S SYE in it.

Planetary gears should swap but from my research no np231D HD's came with a 6 pinion planetary.

Does this 6 and 4 pinion crap have anything significant to do with gear ratios? or is it just a strength thing? Is there any good junkyard style swaps to getting a lower ratio?

so can you just get a 6 planetary from a 242 case and throw those in?

241 yes, 242 no.

Does this 6 and 4 pinion crap have anything significant to do with gear ratios? or is it just a strength thing? Is there any good junkyard style swaps to getting a lower ratio?

No change in gear ratio, just strength.

I've toyed around with doing a 231/Dana 300 doubler. JB Conversions has the LowMax 4:1 for the 300, so you would have the 2.72:1 from the 231, 4:1 from the 300, and combined, I think it's something like 7.1:1. Plus you can do things like twin sticks, and upgraded front and rear outputs with the 300.

I did too. I swear it was said that a NP231D's pinion would fit in a NP231J.

The planetary gears and inputs in my 231J and 231D HD were the exact same, but the 241 have a larger input shaft than 23 spline(varies by application), but so long as you pull a planetary from like years(94 and older or 95 and newer) you can take a planetary with a 32 spline input, and put your 23 spline input in it, and put it in your 231, you can also put the 32 spline input in the 3 pinion planetary, and put it in the 241. Depending on the input seal in the 241, you may be able to put the 23 spline input in the 241, and run it.

Back