• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difference between motor and regulator? (window)

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
What is the difference between the two? I am getting the common slow roll up accompanied by some ratcheting noises. Do i just need the steiger kit or should I try to replace the motor while I am in there?

Everytime I am looking up pictures of the motor or regulator i get the same picture. I am thinking because its older I should replace the motor AND use the steiger kit.

2000 xj 109000 miles classic

You guys are awesome thanks for all the help in advance

Also can you guys recommend any QUALITY motors? I don't want to have to do this every year. I see they range in price (new) 50-200$. I guess I am just looking between cardone and dorman in terms of brand right? What do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
The regulator is the motor and all the associated parts. It's all one unit and the parts of it can't be replaced individually. If you're hearing ratcheting but the window still goes up, the Steiger kit won't do anything for you. It only fixes a broken window bracket. If you buy a new regulator, it will come with a new window bracket attached to it so again, no need to get the kit. As for brands, can't help you there. I bought used off eBay when I needed one.

You only need the steiger kit when your window drops to the bottom of the door...thunk!
Did you try lubing the tracks with lithium grease to see if it helps?
I can attest to the kit..works well

Well got my butt in gear and replaced the window motor today. i purchased the steiger kit and low and behold the 2000 xj classic does not have a pastic screw regulator (the must have fixed it b/c mine is metal) The window rolls up much better but the window occasionally quits half way up makes a ratcheting noise and then rolls up fine. All the gears on the motor look great... any other ideas? I did clean and grease the track with break cleaner and a dry lube.

So I am still getting a grinding noise and having the window roll up half way click, then i let go of the switch and it goes up. you guys know what the problem is? I took the regulator apart and nothing seems to be amiss.

Is the long plastic tube cracked or broken?

Not on your year XJ but earlier models, the "U" insert for the window guides cracks in the middle, right at the base of the "U". Window slips in the crack, gets pinched, and sticks. The crack also allows the window to cant or angle a little and jam. Sometimes backing it down a bit and starting again allows it to straighten up some and miss the bad spot.
May be relevant, may not.

Here is what I did:
1) Take the regulator apart again and flip around the metal coil cable.
2) Before assembly, elongate the motor mounting holes (Dremel or drill) so you can better engage the drive gear in the coil cable.
My window has been quiet for two year now.

amautoparts window regulator

Can't speak for the quality, but I think I might try these out next time...

http://www.am-autoparts.com/1999/Jeep/Cherokee/WindowRegulators.html

I've been having to help my front passenger window up by hand while holding the switch for the past week or two and it's been getting progressively worse. It jammed up on me this morning and I almost had to drive to work in thick fog with my window halfway down. Fortunately I got it back up, but I won't dare to try lowering it again. This convinced me it was time to finally pull the trigger on a pair of the "UPGRADE" units on the page that I linked to above. They look nothing like the factory units, but are guaranteed to be a direct fit. At this price I figured I could afford to be a guinea pig and try them out. Will report back when I get them...

Back