• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Slipping, Now Stalling Engine

ckowennos

NAXJA Forum User
98 xj sport 4 wheel drive with about 200,000.

Noticed my transmission starting to slip a few days ago when I was accelerating quickly. It also noticed a weird stutter when I was braking the other day. On Friday when driving on the interstate it kept stalling on me but it would start right back up. Whenever I tried to accelerate it would jump violently or rev the rpms. After I pulled off the interstate it stalled and wouldn't start for a few moments but it did after about 5 min and I was able to limp it home the mile or so having it stall every so ofter.

I have off this weekend and was planning on testing the TPS, and the Transmission with a multimeter and then changing the fluid in the transmission.

Any other ideas about things to check? I have recently rebuilt the NSS and it has been working well. I replaced the CPS about a month ago but I'll double check that while I have the multimeter out tomorrow.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1050008&highlight=throttle+position+sensor

http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1997-10/Shift Pointers/index.html

How many miles on this transmission?

What is the history of previous fluid changes on it?

Color of the fluid? Level of tranny fluid on dipstick?

Even if a check engine light isn't currenty on (is it?), I would still check the computer for any "stored codes"

And it is possible that you have two separate things going on here. Where did you buy your crank sensor? It is not uncommon to get a bad aftermarket crank sensor.

About 200,000 miles on the engine and transmission. Bought it used but I don't think either has been rebuilt.

Fluid level and color both look good. Between the lines and pink. I haven't changed the fluid since I got it though which was about 4 years ago. (I know I'm a bad person).

I bought the Crank Sensor from the stealership. I don't have the package anymore but I think it was a mopar part. But I haven't eliminated this as a possibility.

Back