• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mufflers opinion

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
First off... 91, I6 H.O., AW4,231, blah, blah, 33's, 4:56 gears....
So I'm badly needing to replace my muffler and figured I just do a cat back system. Local shop recommends I go with the flowmaster 50 series delta flow. I'm not real worried about the aggressive sound. But wanting to keep more low end torque or even get a little more. Anyone running it? Is it a good choice for possible trail abuse?

I run a Flowmaster 50 series single inlet dual outlet muffler and love it. Great sound and the power is good. You will definitely gain some power over the stock muffler no matter what you go with really but the Flowmaster 50 is a great choice.

Ditto. I had the 50 series w the stock motor and sounded good. Felt like it added pep to. I run a thrush welded w the striker now. Sounds good too

add metal to a stock one!

76197_509797377074_226300669_233291_7665740_n.jpg

(i like my jeep quiet)

I also have the Flowmaster 50 series. It looks to be built really well, and I like that is almost as quiet at idle as stock, but has some growl under load. I gutted and sleeved the cat on mine at the same time as installing the muffler, so I cant tell you if the muffler would make a difference by itself, but I do know its breathing better!

Magnaflow here, it's a straight-thru design, less/minimal drone. I also prefer turndowns over the exhaust back.
But pretty much any "performance" muffler you install. Will help.
I got my 14" 4x9 oval Magnaflow on amazon for 49$/free ship
performance-curve.com has some low priced cat-back kits. Would need to weld new hangers tho.

Thanks for your in put guys.. Would it be better to open it up to 2.5 just after the cat all the way back to tail pipe or keep it 2.25?

I'm running the flowmaster 10 series single chamber. It sounds pretty good and suprisingly doesn't have any highway drones. Unless you open up the entire exhuast to 2.5", there really isn't a point.

Thanks for your in put guys.. Would it be better to open it up to 2.5 just after the cat all the way back to tail pipe or keep it 2.25?
For stock/mostly stock you MAY lose some low end if you open it up. Altho, unless you replace with a 2.5" outlet cat, then it shouldn't make a difference.

Check to see if there is a rebate on the dynomax catback.

Not a great system, but if you can get it for 25-50$ after rebate its a great deal.

Interesting... I've spoken to 2 exhaust shops and they both recomended flowmaster 50 for the 4.0...

So there is no real point in opening the cat back to 2.5 unless i'm doing the whole set up?

no real point unless you're going to open it up. you won't see the increase in flow with just the muffler and outlet pipe.
the FM 50 is good, got a good tone too.

Back