• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking Oil in front of Left Leaf Spring?

driggs

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed that my 2001 XJ seems to be leaking some kind of oil from a hole on the unibody, just on the inboard side of the left leaf spring's front mount.

What is up inside here that could be leaking?? It smells like oil, not gas, but I'm not sure how it would get there from the rear axle or transfer case?

:jester:Lift up rear seat bottom..take out busted oil bottle.....put seat back down....:jester:

On a serious note...there isn't anything in that area that has oil to leak out of, so if it isn't coming from right above it it must be traveling. You'll have to follow the uniboby frame up towards the front and see if it may be coming out from somewhere else also.

oh oh actually one other thought......

Does it smell like gear oil? IF it didn't change through out the years the rear diff vent line is attached and vented into the rear left wheel arch area on the inner side of the uni-body..

true, those are there too. The main line for the rear runs right with the lines for the fuel..

Rear axle vent is leaking in the frame rail. Makes sure diff isn't over full. If not don't worry.

Ah, it does smell like gear oil!

I know the rear diff/axle isn't overfilled, and it's been 14 months and 30,000 miles since it was last serviced. Sounds like my Dana 30 is reminding me to give it some attention! A quick peek in the rubber plug shows a consistent silver film in the oil, but thankfully no water froth.

I wonder why it would still be venting with so many miles on the diff fill?

Thanks!

Wouldn't be a dana 30 in the back - dana 30 is in the front. You have a dana 35 or chrysler 8.25 out back unless some previous owner modified your jeep.

No idea why it would choose now to vent, maybe you just didn't notice it for a while?

<chuckle> kastein means a Dana 35, Dana 44, or Chrysler 8.25 out back. D30s are front end only from the factory. I don't think a D44 was available as a rear axle in a 2001 either, so it's probably a D35 if you've got ABS, and an 8.25 if you don't.

yeah... :dunce:

you must have seen my original post. I had dana 30 on the brain after reading the OP's last post :roflmao: I ninja edited as soon as I realized my mistake, and removed dana 44 from the list since those aren't even in the parts catalogs for the XJ 91 and later, and depending on who you ask were only available in some combination of 87, 88, 89, and 90.

Wouldn't be a dana 30 in the back - dana 30 is in the front. You have a dana 35 or chrysler 8.25 out back unless some previous owner modified your jeep.

No idea why it would choose now to vent, maybe you just didn't notice it for a while?
<scratches head> You mean this post? :laugh:

<scratches head> You mean this post? :laugh:
Hrrrmm... even odder. Here's the display from post #8 above:

Wouldn't be a dana 30 in the back - dana 30 is in the front. You have a dana 30, dana 44, or chrysler 8.25 out back unless some previous owner modified your jeep.

Yup... read the first part again, it says the d30 would be in the front and the d35 or 8.25 in the back.

It previously said... something else :eyes: Refresh the page, vBulletin's handling of the quick edit and quick reply boxes gets interesting sometimes.

Even after completely refreshing the page, (even going back through new posts,) #8 still shows your original text for me.

That is beyond strange. It's showed me the fixed version since I fixed it, and showed you the fixed version when you quoted it, but... not when you look at the original post.

thinkingt.gif

That is beyond strange. It's showed me the fixed version since I fixed it, and showed you the fixed version when you quoted it, but... not when you look at the original post.

thinkingt.gif
<chuckle> Ya want weird? If I click on the Edit button (yeah, I'm privileged that way.....) your final version shows up.

Another vote for the rear diff vent. You're not running an ARB by any chance are you?

Another vote for the rear diff vent. You're not running an ARB by any chance are you?

Nope, rear axle is stock 2001 XJ: Dana 35 in 3.55:1, does have ABS.

Front-end has the vibe-inducing low-pinion Dana 30. The 2000-2001 XJ with ABS had the worst axle selection out of the XJ's entire availability.

Back