• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple steering/wobble questions

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
The guys at Firestone had the Jeep recently and when I got it back they told me that I had "slop in the gear box" and a "bad driver's side wheel bearing."

Questions...How can I confirm that is the case on both these items? Can I tighten the slop in the gear box, or once it is sloppy, does it need to be replaced?

2001 XJ, by the way. And if it makes any difference, I have a 1986 HPD30 in it.

Thanks in advance, as always!

Hmmm...figured someone would know how to determine if a wheel bearing is bad!

Anyone, anyone?

WHeelbearing:
Jack it up on that side until the tire is in the air. Grab it at 12 and 6 and try to wiggle it. Have someone look behind the tire to see where the loose bit is. Repeat same test at 9 and 3. If it's really worn you can take the tire off and see where the parts that are pressed together have new wear marks.

Slop in the steering gear.
Well, there's a mesh adjustment screw on the gearbox, you can tighten it, but get it to tight and the box will destroy itself quickly.
Good tech on the saginaw box here:
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/saginaw.htm

besides play in a wheel bearing do you have any noise? if you have a noisy wheel bearing drive Jeep turn to the right if noise goes away most likely left wheel bearing. turn to left noise goes away most likely right wheel bearing. also there is a procedure in the service manual on ho to adjust the steering box.90% of the shop now a days replace the box for time saving and liability reasons and more money. i would look at a Chilton or Mitchel manual or if you can get a hold of a factory manaul try to do the adjustments first.also check the upper steering shaft. the rubber bushing wears out and can give slop and have seen shops diagnose that as a bad steering box. hope this makes sense and helps

Those were the answers I was looking for!

Thanks. I definately have noises when I drive. It is a rubbing sound and comes with forward rotation of the vehicle and the speed of these noises is directoly related to the speed of the vehicle.

I have the FSM. I will need to do some more reading to find out about the slop in the gear box and the adjustment screw.

Thanks for the help!

Back