• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best shocks for the money...

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
1992 4.0L aw4 laredo d30/d35

lifted about 1.5-2.0" over stock

Stock sized shocks still work fine as far as length goes. I've flexed it out and they don't seem to be limiting it at all.

Primary use: Daily driver
Secondary use: Long trail, rutted, unimproved roads
tertiary use: occasional rock/log obstacle -for example water crossing with boulders in coyote canyon.

No high-speed shenanigans. I drive like a grampa. (My oldest is 5, so I've got a lot of time to practice..haha)

What's the best shock for the money, and my intended use? I have no problem with lightly used take-offs...if something from a JK will work (for example).

I did my suspension lift on the cheap, and am very happy with it, but I'd reallly like to try to soften up the ride with a good set of shocks that don't break the bank.

thanks!

i run bilstein 5125s and theyre nice on road. nice and stable.

I use the Monroe Reflex's and they're pretty solid. They're designed for OEM fit though, so you would have to research to find the correct fit.

I was hesitant to spend nearly $400 on shocks, but I'm extremely pleased with my decision to spring for Bilstein 5100s... I was tempted to go the 5150 route up front, but ultimately decided that my driving style did not necessitate a piggyback reservoir.

Regardless, the Bilsteins I bought are valved nearly perfectly (especially when the vehicle is loaded down). Rebound is very well controlled and predictable.

Rancho RS5000's.

If you can go for the Bistein 51xx go for it, otherwise some RC hydros would do you just fine.

Dumb question, but if my truck rides ok now, but is a bit "buck-boardy" over freeway joints, etc...

Will the bilsteins tame that a bit?

I'm not expecting a plush ride like Mrs. SDO's mini-van, but I sure would like to smooth it out. Is that more a factor of spring choice than shocks? I'm hoping for a big difference, but wonder how different it will feel.

I'm riding on stock springs w/ spacer up front, and an XJ/XJ pack in the back...so basically stock spring rate all around...thanks!

If you can go for the Bistein 51xx go for it, otherwise some RC hydros would do you just fine.

RC hydros hit pretty hard at speed in my opinion. They do fine when you're offroad going 5-10 mph at most, but bridge deck expansion joints and potholes are real kidney punchers. From what I've seen that's what separates the $40 shocks and the $100 shocks.

I'm riding on stock springs w/ spacer up front, and an XJ/XJ pack in the back...so basically stock spring rate all around...thanks!

The XJ/XJ bastard pack was, in my experience, a terrible ride. Get you some MJ/S10 springs...

LOL! You serous?
Old Man Emu. They make an excellent shock for 2" height.

Yeah, I like them a lot. I have RS9000's on my WJ and my Dodge Truck, had them on YJ (RS5000's), XJ, Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer, Toyota 4x4. They last a really long time and I like the handling characteristics. For $48 ea, the RS5000 is a decent shock. If money's no object, get the Bilsteins or OME's or crappy Pro-Comp overpriced MX-6's.

Yeah, I like them a lot. I have RS9000's on my WJ and my Dodge Truck, had them on YJ (RS5000's), XJ, Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer, Toyota 4x4. They last a really long time and I like the handling characteristics. For $48 ea, the RS5000 is a decent shock. If money's no object, get the Bilsteins or OME's or crappy Pro-Comp overpriced MX-6's.

Wow we definitely have different preferences. I rode in two jeeps with Rancho 5000's and OMG STIFF! The 5000's are better suited for full size trucks and heavy rigs, not our lightweight station wagons. The other jeep I rode in was a 01 wrangler with a BB lift and rancho 5000's. We hit the trails and I hated how stiff it was.

Now the RS9000's are a different story, very nice shock (which one of those two jeeps swapped out the 5000's for and it made a huge difference).

But everyone has their preferences. Some like it rough, some like it soft. I'm a softie.....

I've got Bilsteins as well, and was hoping it would tame the "buck-boarding" a bit just like you. However I was pretty disappointed when I installed them and it still feels the same. Rides great, but like you said over expansion joints or huge cracks in the road it is a little harsh. At least now I know it's the springs not the shocks.

Another vote for Bilsteins.

Bilstein or OME (I currently run OME). And to be honest, the RE monotubes weren't horrible.

Bilstein or OME (I currently run OME). And to be honest, the RE monotubes weren't horrible.

I have the monotubes and they are a nice shock. I have used Bilsteins in other applications but not on an XJ. I find they make a great product. If I ever need to replace the mono's, Bilstein will get my business. I feel (literally) if I wasnt running the ridiculously stiff RE 3.5 springs I would be set. Guess I should of read up a bit more before ordering the lift. :rolleyes:

Back