• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix AW4 Questions

90woodyxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having intermittent shifting issues with my 90 4.0 for a few years. I don't drive it that much anymore due to a host of issues plaguing me constantly and a lack of money, but now that I seem to have fixed all the electrical gremlins (for now), I was debating on tackling this problem.

The Jeep gets a little goofy around 55 mph. Seems to get confused as to which gear to be in and jumps around. Once I exceed 60mph, the problem goes away. No problems at any other speed.

I've read a lot about problems with both solenoids and speed sensors, and I was just wondering if anyone had any input on how often these things go bad (and which tend to go bad first) before I decide to start messing with things.

check the TPS first, and adjust the throttle cable that goes down to the trans. Serach for "TV CABLE" here and you'll find the instructions.

goto the lunghd site to find the renix TPS adjustment procedure.

You can use a digital multimeter to test and adjust MOST of the TPS functions, but you need an ANALOG multimeter to test the TPS voltage through its full range of motion.

Back