• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996–1999 front axle

RustyFlakBurst

NAXJA Forum User
I’m building an XJ Dana 44 rear end with a TrueTrack and 4.10 [4.09] gears for my 96 XJ 4x2. Now I’m looking for a front end to replace my 4x2 beam front axle.

I’ve done some research and I see that the best used axles to look for are ones having one piece axles [passenger side] and the larger 5-297 u-joints. Also I’d like to get a high pinion model. The one thing I don’t know about is if the 1996 – 1999 front axles allow for the upper and lower ball joint to be replaced or if some models have a permanent upper ball joint. I seem to remember reading something to consider with the ball joints, but I might be getting mixed up. I only want to mess with the ball joints if its needed for alignment, etc.

To meet these criteria, I’m thinking that I need to search for 1996 – 1999 front axles that came out of 4x4 XJs with a 2.5L 4 cylinder. It’s my understanding that the axles in 4 cylinders were all 4.10 [4.11] geared. This would let me get on the road with that axle and then add a TrueTrack to the front axle at a later date.

Is my thinking correct or should I be considering anything else? Are there HP TJ axles that would also work?

Lastly, will my existing pitman arm and drag link [from a stock 4x2 XJ – no lift] work on the 4x4 axle or do I need to swap anything here?

Is my thinking correct or should I be considering anything else? Are there HP TJ axles that would also work?

Lastly, will my existing pitman arm and drag link [from a stock 4x2 XJ – no lift] work on the 4x4 axle or do I need to swap anything here?

Last edited:
4 cylinders with manual transmissions were all 4.10 geared.

Fixed. If you were lucky enough to find an auto 2.5l, they most likely have 4.56's :shhh:

All XJ d30 balljoints are replaceable.

For 4.10 gears, you are most likely to find a suitable axle under a 95-99 XJ with the 4 cylinder motor and a 5 speed. If you find a 91-94 XJ with the 4 cylinder motor and a 5 speed it's also likely but won't come with the big joint shafts unless it also has ABS. Simple fix to this is to grab the shafts out of a big joint axle at the yard and swap them in before you buy the axle... to the pull-a-part an axleshaft is an axleshaft. Just be nice and leave the small joint shafts sitting next to the axle you pull the big joint shafts from if you do this.

There was no HP TJ axle AFAIK. Your stock pitman will be fine, the entire suspension is 100% the same except for the axle housing and gears/shafts. The knuckles are even the same, 92 or 93 and later (not sure.)

And yes, if you find an 87-90 2.5L with the auto (and some 84-86s but I haven't chased down the details on what drivetrain they came with, it's 2.5L and something) you probably are looking at 4.56 geared axles. Only the front is worth grabbing as the rear will be a d35, if it has an NP242 it'll even be a non-disconnect (solid axle instead of vac disconnect) housing.

If you find a 4cyl with the 4 speed manual, ignore it, it probably has 3.55s just like any 6cyl/auto ever built.

all TJ axles were LP.

your steering linkage should also be identical to a 4x4 if it came from a 2x4. but if your hitting up the JY anyway you might as well keep an eye out for the steering linkage from a V8 ZJ. drag link is the same, tie rod is bigger/beefier. its bolt in. if you cant find one or have no desire too... your linkage and pitman arm will work just fine assuming your drag link and track bar angles are good.

Thanks for the advice on this so far. I have located an XJ 4.10 axle from a 1997 4 cylinder. It’s suppose to have 125k on it. So based on all comments and research, I think this should be a good axle, as the 1997 XJ axle should be:
• High pinion
• Have the bigger 5-297 u-joints
• Have a 1 piece passenger side axle [no disconnect]
• The one piece no disconnect will work well with a truetrack in the front [long term plans]

I’m thinking about going to get it soon, it’s a bit of a drive to get it. Can anyone suggest some tips to validate the axle is in good working order?

Where did you find that axle?

I thought the the only 2.5L engines after (1990?) were for foreign countries only. Never heard of a late model xj with the anything other then the 4.0L

The 2.5L diesel motor was only for foreign countries, but the 2.5L gasser was available in the US all the way up to the end of the line, '01.

yea, it ran on gas before whatever happened to it. Maybe the government ran it on that sodium silicate?? Anyhow

So, any ideas on what I can look for to determine if the axle is in good working order?

Back