• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 8.8 swap

Lance88xj

NAXJA Forum User
i know theres different posts on this but i had a few specific questions.

-im looking for a ford 8.8 rear axle out of a 95 or newer ford explorer ( want those disc breaks)

-M.O.R.E. makes a kit, any comments on that?

-can you tell if it has 4.10 gears without opening housing ? ( i plan to walk around pick n pull, dont want to disect every axel i see)

-any ideas for e-break cable?

-what size wheel spacers?

any help would be great or threads to a write up that can answer these questions or just good general information

thanks

88 kj, 3in RE lift, 5spd, 4.0 I6, 31 pro comp muds
(plan to upgrade lift to a 4.5" with some new tread as well, 32-33's)

Last edited:
The gear ratio will be stamped on the tag on the cover under one of the bolts.

Here's a thread on the e-brake.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51289

I don't run any wheel spacers. If depends on the backspacing on your wheels.

WMS one the 8.8 is 59.75". Chry 8.25 is 60.5". So, it won't be a noticable difference but a half inch spacer would make the difference. You'd have to run longer studs.

Last edited:
You can look at the sticker in the door jamb. There is a little chart and one of the squares is labeled Axle and will have a code under it. There is a list somewhere with the codes.

You can look at the sticker in the door jamb. There is a little chart and one of the squares is labeled Axle and will have a code under it. There is a list somewhere with the codes.

you can find the list over at therangerstation

it will tell you if it has a LSD or not s well. The most common ratio was 3.73 I belive.

you can find the list over at therangerstation

it will tell you if it has a LSD or not s well. The most common ratio was 3.73 I belive.
X2. I find a lot of 3.73s, a few 4.10s, and very few 3.55s around here. LSD is most common in 3.73 and 3.55 unfortunately.

Read the tag before pulling, and pull the cover and read the numbers off the ring gear before buying. Nothing worse than buying an axle only to get it home and discover that the owner of the vehicle had had the gears done and they didn't remove the tag for some reason... that is, unless you get 4.56s/4.88s by accident this way!

It LSD seems pretty crappy anyways. I plan on finding one with 4.10's and open, so I can throw a lunchbox in it.

I think Iron Rock Offroad has the best price on swap kits.

the 8.8 going into my junk currently has the ruffstuff kit welded to it. It is the pure beef.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=186
Simple%20Swap%20with%20Shock%20Brackets.jpg

dan is a vendor here and offers a NAXJA discount, go look in the vendors forum.

I really don't think you can beat it for $120. Get a diff cover as well, the Ford one brings the suck.

My previous 8.8 had mopar perfromance perches welded to it. They were $10 for the pair at the dealership. search around here for the part number.

Back