• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Start Issue #169,586

TERRor

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ 4.0 AW4 267,XXX

Died while driving it today. It has done this intermittently but always started right back up. Occasionally it would die while driving and start itself kind of like a hiccup. I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor less than 5k miles ago. Replaced distributor cap and rotor. The fuel pump is kicking in. It is throwing no codes.

I love this thing but the constant no start and leaving me stranded on the side of the road is about to drive me nuts!

Any ideas where to start?

Crank sensor still in play. What brand crank sensor did you use? There are numerous threads of people (including me) having poor luck with aftermarket sensors. Because of that, I buy this piece of hardware directly from Jeep. Well worth the extra money.

Did this symptom exist both before AND after you replaced the crank sensor?? Important distinction here.

The ignition coil is also suspect, but this sounds more like a crank sensor.

Also be sure that the crank sensor CONNECTOR is clean. Get a can of electrical contact cleaner. Throughly spray the connector clean. Add a small dab of dielectric grease and reconnect.

Some debris in the connector can give flaky symptoms on this sensor.

Well, what is the missing element when the engine won't start?

THAT IS THE QUESTION!!!!!

Until you answer that question you are just P/ing into the wind.

Get it into the fault condition. Test for spark. Test for fuel pressure. Test for fuel injector firing pulse.

Back