• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle shim options

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Well, RE's (hopefully short-lived) departure has left me up a creek... I need 4 degree axle shims to fix my rear pinion angle, and the RE shims were the only ones I've ever seen that come with longer center pins.

4 Wheel Parts here in Raleigh carries aluminum shims, but even they dissuaded me from buying them for anything but a mall crawler (and even then they're less than adequate). So, my options are now as follow:

1. Use Mopar shims, which are 2" wide and likely are drilled for the stock leaf pack center pin. They are sold in 1, 2, and 3 degree pairs, as well as a complete kit which includes a pair of each (~$90 from the dealership). Not sure if these are considered bolt-on or weld-on, but I'd likely get them centered and weld them on.
  2. Spring for U-bolt eliminators and weld them on at the correct angle. Not sure how difficult this ultimately is, so I might need to rule it out.
  3. Cut off and re-weld the stock perches. Again, not sure how difficult this would ultimately be considered (especially since I'd like to do it with the axle under the vehicle, or at least quite near it).

Anyone got any tips or recommendations?

Theres a few other companies that sell degree shims, as far as the center bolt goes get a grade 8 bolt from home depot and grind the bolt head into a circular shape so it fits into the spring perch and/or drill out the hole in the spring perch to fit the bolt.

Theres a few other companies that sell degree shims, as far as the center bolt goes get a grade 8 bolt from home depot and grind the bolt head into a circular shape so it fits into the spring perch and/or drill out the hole in the spring perch to fit the bolt.

A high grade allen headed bolt also makes a decent centering pin.

I'm have the exact same problem. According to Quadratec's website, they still have the RE aluminum shims in stock, I think I may just get those to hold me over until RE opens back up...

You sould still call the venders who carry RE stuff and check if they have any in stock. I just order RE 3/8 center bolts from Quadratec minutes ago. I first called and he said no can't get them cause they went out of bussiness, but then he looked up the part number and said they had 9 of them in stock.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Called up Quadratec and ordered a set of RE 3/8" center pins (as they still had them), but unfortunately they were down to only RE's 8 degree steel shims... A little too much angle for me.

Ended up ordering a pair of Warrior steel shims (these guys here) in 4 degrees... Should have them by Friday.

Well I'll be damned.

Got the shims in after drilling the center pin holes out to 3/8", and although the vibes have been reduced, they're still present when coming to a stop (5 MPH and slower)...

Looking at the pinion angle, it's still pointing oh so slightly below parallel with the driveshaft. I guess I'm ordering 6 degree shims and trying again...

The pinion is suppose to be a tad lower to accommodate for when you give it gas and the axle pitches up a few degrees...What tires you running? If running mud's maybe its the tires (big lugs) causing it to vibrate when slowing down 5mph and below.

The pinion is suppose to be a tad lower to accommodate for when you give it gas and the axle pitches up a few degrees...What tires you running? If running mud's maybe its the tires (big lugs) causing it to vibrate when slowing down 5mph and below.
I had thought that might be the case, but I'm running Goodyear Duratrac 245/75R16's (C-rated) which don't really have big lugs... They're among the quieter MT/AT tread tires out there. Given this suspicion, I did a few low-speed tests in which I coasted to a stop on a slight uphill grade and the vibrations were reduced, though still present... They're far more intense when any brake pressure is applied (which would cause the rear pinion angle to worsen), but still, only at 5 MPH or less. I'll rotate my tires this evening to see if it has any effect on the behavior, as it's been a while (I figure if the vibes change at all following tire rotation, then it can be safely assumed to be the tires).

BTW, as a random aside, I've been meaning to ask... What's up with your avatar pic? Looks like some pretty intense head trauma or even the bends :)

Iron Rock Offroad shims come with a longer center pin.
No sweat on this note, but thanks for the tip. Per a previous post, I ordered proper RE 3/8" center pins and drilled out the shims to accommodate them.

In any case, at least the high-speed resonant vibes are gone now. I'll take a pic of my current pinion angle here in a bit to get a better idea of exactly where it sits.

BTW, as a random aside, I've been meaning to ask... What's up with your avatar pic? Looks like some pretty intense head trauma or even the bends :)

lol, its a constant reminder to me....its what happens when you go wheeling at night to a place you haven't been before and roll your jeep 12 times with no cage and no seat belt. Needless to say everyone including the doc's said I was lucky. Got broken collarbone, 5 inch gash on the head with skin flapping...good times!

So what does a jeeper do, buy another XJ and build that one. Havent gone out since the accident though, waiting for cage, 5 pt harness....one day Ill get over the fear.

Ebay. I got a set shipped for 35.00 You'll still need a set of long center pins, but get a bolt from McMaster that is fully threaded if you can't find any others.

The e b a y seller was trevwfo search for him and you may find more shims. They were made really well and should fit when I install them tomorrow.

lol, its a constant reminder to me....its what happens when you go wheeling at night to a place you haven't been before and roll your jeep 12 times with no cage and no seat belt. Needless to say everyone including the doc's said I was lucky. Got broken collarbone, 5 inch gash on the head with skin flapping...good times!

So what does a jeeper do, buy another XJ and build that one. Havent gone out since the accident though, waiting for cage, 5 pt harness....one day Ill get over the fear.
Holy crap dude, glad you made it out alive! I understand the fear - my first wheeling experiences were in CO (Black Bear, Ophir Pass, and so on), and after watching a Land Cruiser tumble across the road a short ways ahead of me on a series of switchbacks (Black Bear) I never looked at wheeling the same way again.

Fortunately, in that case, the driver knew he was way beyond recovery and jumped from the truck, pulling his wife out with him, just before it lost footing and began its decent.

Regardless, I just did an oil change and tire rotation, and whaddya know - the vibes are mostly gone. Time to start tweaking tire pressure.

Back