• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ owner with mods but having a problem

TeXaS SoB

NAXJA Forum User
I recently picked up 92 XJ that has what looks to be a 4.5" RC lift and 35" tires with fenders cut. I got it pretty cheap at-least in my opinion. Ive only had it a few eeks and when i bought it the front drive shaft wasnt installed. Afew days ago i had it rebuilt and I put it back in to test out the 4 wheel drive. Ive had 4x4's in the past but they were push button. Im not sure exactly how this one works i know you have to put it in neutral to get it to lock in a some point. I dont have a owners manual though. I can get it to go into part time 4 wheel drive but not full time. I can also get it into 4 wheel low but it wont stay it seems to pop out pretty easy. Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions or if i bought a jeep with a bad transfer case.

The chain is probably stretched or the linkage isn't lined up correctly. I shift mine from 2hi to 4 hi at most any speed under 20mph in drive. I come to a complete stop and put it in neutral to shift to 4lo.

Look under there and see if it has a transfer case drop kit installed.

These really screw with the tc shift linkage as one part is connected to the unibody and the other to the tc itself--putting in a tc drop binds things up and can result in the tc being pulled out of low range with flex.

Post up what you find.

Back