• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

switching factory fog lights and smoking!

filterbiz

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i got some pro comps to replace the broken factory bumper mounted fog lights. they did not come with wiring kits, so i cut the factory connectors off the old ones and pu them on the new ones. i tested them first no problems hit the switch and the lit right up. so i complete the install fire the jeep up, turn the lights on, hit the switch nothing and all of a sudden starts smoking on pass fender well. smoking pretty bad cut all power now no lights at all???? what did i do?

thanks

oh yeah 87 laredo

From what I've understood...factory lights run through a relay that doesn't function as we would llike to think. The relay only controls lights so they're on with low beams, but off with high beams. Full power for the lights runs through the switch. That may be your problem...full power for lights (higher draw than stock) running through circuits not designed for such a high amp draw.

Find whatever it is you smoked.

If the factory fog harness still works, you can use it to power a relay and use the relay to power the lamps. If you smoked all that, install fresh wires to a new factory switch and use the switch to power a relay and the relay to power the lamps.

Back