• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locking D30.. Aussie or Detroit

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, i'm new to lockers. Been snow wheeling with open diffs and i want to lock my front.
Funds are low so a little research has got me to where i need to choose between an Aussie or Detriot.

I'm going 8.8 in the rear with an LSD and i'll keep it like that for now until i can afford a selectable locker. 4.10 gears now, may go deeper if i can find affordable gears. (it's a POS diesel) Tires.. 33-35". Will probably see lots of street and DD duty as trails are hours away and i need to drive it to and from.

Now there are differences between the two i don't fully understand, can someone please tell me what they are and why i shoud choose one over the other.

Thanks, any performance differences?

Some say i won't know it's there while in 2wd but Eaton says you'll need unlockable hubs for road use.. . which is true?

I have an aussie, it was easy to install, but if i could do it again, id get the detroit, because it is stronger, but you cannot install it with just a normal set of tools.

my vote is for the aussie.... IMO the 30 ain't worth much more than that.

they are both similar, the aussie is cheaper and easier to install. I don't know about the road manners of the detroit, but the aussie is near invisible.

I know you said you were low on funds...but, if you're going to re-gear anyway and will need a new carrier (3.73 is the break, if I remember right), then I'd recommend an eaton e-locker. That way, you have an open differential until you want a locker...then it's locked.

I've got the eaton e-locker in my front D30, and an ected LSD/e-locker in my rear 8.8. Love the set-up...especially since I have the NP242 and can still use the full-time 4x4 on the street without some of the problems that occur with the detroit or the aussie.

One thing to keep in mind about the Aussie is that it is so strong it can actually stretch the stock carrier to the point of failure. If you use an Aussie get a stronger aftermarket carrier. Or just get a Detroit and never have another problem with it.

One thing to keep in mind about the Aussie is that it is so strong it can actually stretch the stock carrier to the point of failure. If you use an Aussie get a stronger aftermarket carrier. Or just get a Detroit and never have another problem with it.

ummm nice sig...what you doing later?

The aussie isn't "invisible" or "silent" cuz I can hear it clicking on turns and I"m deaf with two hearing aids LOL. Basically it's "OFF" in 2wd and "ON" in 4wd. All auto lockers in the dana 30 function in that manner. Keep in mind, steering can be scary in snow when you need 4wd (street use). This is the one reason I removed my aussie from the front and went with a rear locker instead.

Neither. Save your pennies and go selectable. Snowy sidehills are a bitch when locked tires keep pulling you downhill.

Neither. Save your pennies and go selectable. Snowy sidehills are a bitch when locked tires keep pulling you downhill.
x2 i have an aussie and we barely get snow but when we do i 2wd most of the time because the front tires in 4wd will bind and your jeep wont turn well at all. but just weigh the consequences.

Aussies are cheap, easy to install, and work just fine.

Detroits are three times the price, require a much more technical install, but are strong as heck and have other benefits over the Aussie.

BOTH will hardly be noticeable in 2WD.

BOTH can give you trouble in 4x4 on snowy roads.

A selectable like an ARB, OX, or Eaton will give you the best of everything .... but they cost more.

If you will be doing gears in the near future, just save up for a selectable.

Back