• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird

7.592xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj with a 8 month old 4.6 stroker, ever since did the motor it's had a slight hesitation when you hit it but then it takes off.
A while back I replaced the tank, pump , filter and some rubber lines at tank. Ever since then it's had a slightly longer lag than before but now it's getting real bad when you hit the gas it backfires and pops and bogs, keep your foot on it and eventually it hits like powerband tires let go and away you go, if you keep the revs up it stays alright but once revs drop it bogs again. Today I've swapped filter and checked all hoses, while hoses were disconnected from pump blew air down main fuel lines to make sure they were clear, replaced gas cap and Map. Still the same. Finally put a gauge on fuel rail only 20 psi, pinch return line nothing, remove vacum line nothing.
So after all this do I have a bad fuel pump?

Yes.

When you MOMENTARILY pinch the fuel return line off the fuel pressure regulator the psi should jump to around 95 psi.

Back