• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mech to e fan conversion questions

sleestack

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting ready for the summer and I'm concidering a e-fan. I have a 96 4.0 auto sport 4x4 with HD fan clutch. The HD clutch works great at cooling the engine down over stock but in NYC bumper to bumper traffic (no air flow) at 100+ degrees, while it has never overheated I feel I'm hitting the upper limits of the stock cooling capabilities. I have a new 2 row rad, new hoses, belts, t-stat and it usually runs at 210 but i've had some times that it creaps up a little more than I feel confortable with in the traffic I described. Since my wife and daughter are driving this around 95% of the time while Im in class I want this thing to be rock solid. We also have gotten terrible milage since the HD clutch swap, but it was worth the extra cooling.

I was wondering if anyone knows:
1. How many CFMs does the factory mech fan is rated at.
2. How many CFMs does the factory e fan it rated at
3. How much current does a factory e fan draw.
4. What is the most current draw I could get away with using a factory alt.

I plan on leaving the factory efan as it and replacing the mech fan with something like this or a factory efan and using the temp sersor that come with the fan or buying a temp sensor for the factory efan.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I did this with my 90 and I used a fan from a 96. I picked up a Hayden adjustable fan controller and I run both E-fans direct off of the battery using a relay. So even when the engine is shut off, the fans will run on and cool the radiator and engine bay.

I don't have a schematic for the wiring but its working correctly even down to when I cut on the AC/defrost the fans come on as well. I have been running this set-up for a year and no issues.

I have a 110amp alternator on my 90 and it handles the load just fine. I do not know what the amp draw is on a stock e-fan.

Back