• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smog issue

Yamadevil

NAXJA Forum User
ok i posted this in oem tech but i figured since cali has the most jacked up laws they might not know so i am reposting here as well

Ok I went to smog my XJ for the first time and HAHA gross polluter. So now i paid for a fail and he told me it needed a cat so i had a cat put on. Now for you smog guru's here are the numbers can you please tell me if it sounds right or will i drive in to give away more money to the smog man with another fail. Keep in mind these numbers are before the new cat, I have not been back after the install. 90 XJ 4.0

15mph co2 14.40 02 0.68 HC max 123 measured 81 CO% max .73 measured .18 NO(ppm) max 711 measured 1905 this was the gross polluter number

25mph co2 14.28 02 .65 HC max 103 measured 73 CO% max .93 measured .33 NO(PPM) max 613 measured 1436 this was a fail

So the NO was the failing number at both speeds which i think is nox this guy also said the 02 reading wasnt right or something
Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

nox is directly related to combustion chamber temps. when is the last time you did a tune up? new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, etc... but your rig is a renix right? (pressure bottle by the firewall) it's pretty easy to pass a renix unless you have a major problem, my MJ passed with a hole in the top of the rotor and 2 terminals on the cap completely rotted out - i can't believe it was even running thats how bad it was.

If it runs good seafoam it (since you have a new cat I would take the downpipe off since seafoaming it will break loose whatever carbon is built up in the intake and on top of the pistons), then put in new plugs and change the cap and rotor, and go back to the smog guy. every place i've seen is pass or dont pay, or pay and free retest. Sounds kind of shady to me if they are making you pay to test it again.

Mine is an HO, but it won't pass unless I put renix plugs in it (colder heat range than my HO - champion #RC9YC) and run a tank of premium through before I go to the smog place. CRC makes a bottle of stuff called "Guaranteed to Pass" as well, dunno what it does but its the only way we can get our delivery trucks at the shop to pass the annual smog check. They should have it at any parts store worth a turd.

HTH

x2 on what Grimm said. I failed with 33's and stock gearing then put on 225/75/15's and failed again so I highly dount gearing is related at all. If you have a Renix, check your EGR is working....the HO's dont have EGR and thats one of the reasons they have a higher failure for NOX because the EGR helps lower temps.

Yeah the gearing wouldnt cause you to fail, if anything help pass I think (less rpm to spin tires at given MPH). Had a 95 wrangler on 33's and stock gearing and it passed. Check egr as others stated, also check vacuum lines. Most places around here only do a free retest if the repairs are done at their shop, luckily I found a local guy thats willing to work with me whenever I have to smog my vehicles...

Actually getting the gearing/ tires close to stock will help nox cause you are taking some load off the engine...might try some stockers on it as well as making sure the egr works.

Actually getting the gearing/ tires close to stock will help nox cause you are taking some load off the engine...might try some stockers on it as well as making sure the egr works.

That was my thought too but I have 4 smogs (all fail) that show it didn't make one bit of difference).

I went back and forth about 91 octane with andy when I had my smog problems, lol. 91 makes my xj run hot.

well i am seafoaming it then running G2P now bottle says run that out before you test is that what you did or do you test with it in there?

Back