• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ pitman arm question

jbmoose

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to do the V8 ZJ -> XJ pitman arm drop, out of a '98 ZJ. How do I get this thing off of the box? My local yard won't allow torches, and even with my puller, I doubt it'll do. I've picked this ZJ before for my rear disc conversion, so I know it's been sitting there for at least 3 years. And before it's said, hosing it with SKID (penetrator of choice) and coming back next weekend is probabaly futile, unless I go back 4 weekends in a row, and at $5 per admission, would defeat the whole cheap angle. Likewise, it's pointless to take the whole box, then I just might as well buy a $50 new aftermarket. Laters, JB

get a GOOD puller a big hammer and a long wrench. It will come off.

As someone else on here would say. " Put your purse down and hit it." Besides PB blaster not help on arms much.

Last edited:
Why would i swap the whole box? My steering box is perfectly fine. Making more work isn't exactly what I had in mind. Oh, and PB is crap. SKID trumps all.

probably best option. funny how aftermarket xj drop arms start at $50

I recently removed my ZJ's pitman arm and it was NOT easy. It started to bend my puller, so I soaked it in PB blaster, cranked the puller as tight as it would go, whacked it with a big hammer a few times, and nothing. So I left the puller on, and each day went out and tightened it a little and whacked it with the hammer again. After about 4 or 5 days, it came right off.

Back