• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not enough budget or time for gears

small pederson

NAXJA Forum User
well, its been an interesting summer. i got almost everything on i wanted to but some gears. unfortunately its time to go back to college. anyhow heres my question. is there going to be adverse effects on my drivetrain turning 35's with 3.54's on an AW4?

I'm not sure of the stress on your drivetrain....but you will hate it at highway speeds.......(if you can get it up to highway speeds!!)
It doesn't sound like you have any choice...so live with it until the money starts rolling back in!!

I am running 3.55 gears with 35s and an aw4 and it isnt bad at all on the highway.. i can keep it at 65 or kit it up to 70.. the only thing that sucks it it gives you worse gas mileage...

Max

Dont forget all the nice extra heat your tranny is dealing with. Heat is always fun for an auto to deal with, in fact it makes 'em last longer...

Fergie

Yes- your AW4 will be sweating the load under that gear and tire combination. Will it be ok for a while? Probably. But you will be putting a lot of stress on the tranny and generating a lot of heat. Your "get up and go" will be gone and it'll feel like you're trying to take off in high gear (which ain't far from the truth). It'll get you around, but make those gears a priority.

Don't forget about AIR RESISTANCE, because our xj's are SOOO aerodynamic.

Although, with the 31's and 3.07's (choke) on my 97, when I finally get the 4.0L up into it's sweet spot, i'm doing around 90, and that helps when trying to get thru Nebraska. (so did a strong tailwind)

With stock tires, on an AW-4 you should be running about 2200 RPM at 65 MPH. Running on 35" tires I'd suggest locking out overdrive and running in 3rd gear to make life easier on the engine and tranny.

Back