• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about Chrysler 8.25

xj88RoKK

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 cherokee country with an auto and 231. I'm installing my 4.5 rough country lift and I have an option to pick up a Chrysler 8.25 with 3.55's and the respective drive shaft for 200. Is that a deal/Is that exactly what I need?

The 8.25 came with two different spline counts, the early ones had 27 splines and the later had 29 splines. I believe the cut-off is mid 1996 model year but can't guarantee that. The 29 splines are the more desirable.

An old timer wrote this about the 8.25...
"29 spline Chrysler 8.25: 33's with a locker, 35's without a locker. I just can't trust a 29 spline shaft to 35's with a locker. MAYBE with upgraded shafts. Good stiff housing, though, which contributes greatly to carrier and ring gear strength. upgrade your 27 spline to 29, and you'll gain these benifits."

Search 8.25 and there is a thread somehwere comparing the 8.25 to the D44 and the pros and cons of both. IMO $200 for an open 8.25" w/stock gearing is way too high in price.

Last edited:
Either way its overpriced! You most likely dont need the driveshaft.

I have read that particular forum before. Thank you for moving my thread to the correct area.

I will make sure it is actually the 29 spline before I start working on the price.

Thanks Again.

you need the 8.25 driveshaft. if your swapping from a d35 the 35 shaft is the wrong length.

i run a 29 spline 8.25 with 3.55's on 33x10.50 super swampers. it does just fine. but its open not locked up.

Back