• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Computer Re-flash

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
I had the engine computer of my '96 Country 4.0 re-flashed in June of '09 as per the factory recall campaign. It behaved just fine before, except for marginal (compared to my other XJs) fuel mileage. Shortly afterward, I noticed a delay when lifting off the gas, that it would run on an extra second or two before settling down to a slower speed, or idle if stopping. Annoying, but not too unsafe, as it seems that it's the IAC hanging open a hair, not the throttle plate, and the injectors are already at idle. I'd read on this site where others have experienced various difficulties after the re-flash, and thought I'd dodged that bullet, but now I'm not so sure.

I will say that I've added new(er) injectors, from Performance Auto (I believe), and the engine starts easier, gets a little better MPGs, and I can run 87 octane again without excessive tapping- had to use 89 before to cut the ping. The Throttle Body has been disassembled and cleaned, and a new IAC and various TPS's used. Since the re-flash, the original TPS, a used one , and a brand new one have failed, but currently it seems happy with another used one. When they've failed, they have thrown codes, so the diagnosis has been accurate. When they're about to go, the tranny starts to shift erratically, so it's like an advanced warning.

I'm looking for opinions as to how to handle this. I'm tired of this thing 'eating' the TPS, and I can't help but wonder if the run-on at deceleration isn't caused by a glitch in the re-programming of the computer. My son's '96 was done before he bought it, and doesn't suffer from this....

Sorry for the long rant, but I would like some input, and thanks for looking!

Back