• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Tire Carrier

Fixn2xlr8

NAXJA Forum User
I dont know if this is the right forum to ask such a question but how much is one worth? I finally found one on craigs list, the guy wants 40 bucks and its a 2 hour drive to get it.

High? Low? Right?

I havent owned this Jep long enough to know what used parts should go for.

TIA folks.

Sounds about right to me if it comes with all the mounting hardware, but bear in mind it probably isn't something you will want to put much over a p235 on.

If it's the outside one that has two hinges, one on the bumper end cap and one at the quarter panel with a latch inside the bumper that's a great price if complete. Here is a photo of the parts needed:

Spare%20Tire%20Carrier.gif

If it's the one with the hinge on the bumper and the latch on the hatch run away, those are crap.

Also I'm going to have to disagree with katstain, if you put some washers on the hinge (search) I've known people to use them with 33s. I personally ran that setup with a 31" tire and a full 5 gallon gerry can for many, many miles.

Good price if complete! Its it the style that hinges off the quarter panel and the bumper side and latches on the center of the bumper?

If it's the outside one that has two hinges, one on the bumper end cap and one at the quarter panel with a latch inside the bumper that's a great price if complete. Here is a photo of the parts needed:

Spare%20Tire%20Carrier.gif

If it's the one with the hinge on the bumper and the latch on the hatch run away, those are crap.

Also I'm going to have to disagree with katstain, if you put some washers on the hinge (search) I've known people to use them with 33s. I personally ran that setup with a 31" tire and a full 5 gallon gerry can for many, many miles.

x2 on the washers, I ran a 31 for a few years, and a 33x12.5x15 for the past three, along with a shovel and axe. had to install longer studs for the 33 to fit

sweet!! for sure worth it! Right now mine is being used for cargo only, toolbox, hilift, shovel, and chainsaw

So its a go on it?

Not to be an a$$, but I bring being cheap to an art form. How much it it worth? I gotta know.

If it's the outside one that has two hinges, one on the bumper end cap and one at the quarter panel with a latch inside the bumper that's a great price if complete

this...however taking the 2hr drive into account...do you have a gas friendly vehicle to get it so gas isn't horrendous?

I'd have to disagree on this. I have the one that hitches to the bumper and the latch on the gate. I have had a 31" spare on there for 5 years or so and never had a rattle or shift.

I welded a piece of 3" channel inside the bumper to reinforce, and bolted a 4"square piece of flat stock inside the hatch. Works great. I wouldn't want the 2 hinge variety.

The ones that bolt to the side of the quarter panel bend/tweak the sheet metal...seen it more than once and you need to cut a hole in the bumper, or get the bumper off the donor.

Buy it!. I reinforced mine inside the quarter, used bigger washers and welded a couple of gussets on the carrier. I haven't reinforced the bumper yet because I'm planning on making a strong, simple rear bumper instead. If you tire is wider you might have to tweak the wheel mounting surface a bit. You will also need to relocate the rear tag and get a light for it. I was also planning on mounting the tire higher for a little better departure angle. These things can be made to carry a larger tire with out too much fab work. A shovel and jack wouldn't be that much of a problem to mount. One thing to take into consideration is the latch. If you go down a steep incline you might hit the latch and release the carrier. I'll probably figure out a way to install a pin to prevent that from happening. If you don't buy it someone else will get the deal.

Buy it!. I reinforced mine inside the quarter, used bigger washers and welded a couple of gussets on the carrier. I haven't reinforced the bumper yet because I'm planning on making a strong, simple rear bumper instead. If you tire is wider you might have to tweak the wheel mounting surface a bit. You will also need to relocate the rear tag and get a light for it. I was also planning on mounting the tire higher for a little better departure angle. These things can be made to carry a larger tire with out too much fab work. A shovel and jack wouldn't be that much of a problem to mount. One thing to take into consideration is the latch. If you go down a steep incline you might hit the latch and release the carrier. I'll probably figure out a way to install a pin to prevent that from happening. If you don't buy it someone else will get the deal.

Going to pick it up in the morning. But seriously, whats a fair market value for it? Not gona sell it mind you, just like to know how good of a deal I got.

Going to pick it up in the morning. But seriously, whats a fair market value for it? Not gona sell it mind you, just like to know how good of a deal I got.

I've seen them on ebay for $150+. I got mine for $75 in great shape. Both kinds run about the same.

Tell me where yours is, I'll out-buy you and pocket $50 when I sell it. I bought one used years ago during my JU days for $100, used it on the XJ a few of years then sold it for $100. That was the one NOT pictured above. I pulled another from the junk yard (PITA!) cleaned it up, shot it with a coat of paint & sold that as well for $110. Same as the one pictured. That's the going rate in these parts. Go get the damn thing already!!! Geez!

GSequoia said:
I disagree. I run a 32 on mine for months, but it carried a 31 on steel for years without issue. Got rid of it because I started feeling nervous about carrying a tire/wheel combo that I had trouble picking up myself. But I never had problems.

Last edited:
Back