• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Cycles on/off w/ idle increase

Keekleberrys

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed ever since i bought my jeep used, that it kicks into a higher idle every few seconds. I timed it tonight and counted the compressor kicking in 8 times in one minute. It does this ONLY when the a/c is on.

Is this low freon? The A/C seems to work very well, but I've picked the jeep up just before the winter months anyways so I am unsure if I would have noticed.

If it is low freon, is it so low I have to have it drained/refilled or can I just add some from a can?

Last edited:
sounds like it is low on freon. what year is your Jeep. early ones use r12 which is no longer available so you'll have to convert it to r134 or freeze 12 substitute.if your is a 94 or later you should have r134. you could add 1 can with one of those quicky recharge kits.i wouldnt go more than one . best way is to go to an a/c shop. have them have the system evacuated put into a vacum. and recharged.

sounds like it is low on freon. what year is your Jeep. early ones use r12 which is no longer available so you'll have to convert it to r134 or freeze 12 substitute.if your is a 94 or later you should have r134. you could add 1 can with one of those quicky recharge kits.i wouldnt go more than one . best way is to go to an a/c shop. have them have the system evacuated put into a vacum. and recharged.

Sorry, should have said. 2000 XJ

Does 8 times in one minute indicate that it is severely low or moderately low? I've heard that if the system has been low for a while air can find its way in.

Seems like it is a bit low on freon. You should have your A/C professionally done. Those small cans of freon often contain sealers which will eventually clog up condensors, evaporators, driers and the like. And if you overfill a system it doesn't cool as well. Plus a shop usually puts dye in with the oil so a leak can be easily spotted.

Back