• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need assistance!!!

DP882dr

NAXJA Forum User
ok ive searcher a little on the forum and im still uncertaint about this.

ok i just got a 88 tbi2.5l xj to a ax15 with np231 but i have to pull my motor:gonnablow. should i rebuild my motor, rebuild with a bore over(how much), swap to a 4.0, or another swap. i may just buy another parts jeep since my jeep is no longer going to be a dd:)

whats going to be better for
1.my pocket
2.reliabilty
3. your personal oppinion

thanks for the help!

Wouldn't that have an AX5 not an AX15...? not sure.

I would stuff an AX15 and a 4.0 in it, but bear in mind you'll need to change some other stuff, wiring harness, ECU, etc.

What's wrong with your motor?

Believe that was 84-86 ones only, the firewall is different and the radiator support is too. 87 and later the only difference is in the radiator support / inner fenders around it and all you have to do is unbolt some pieces.

87+ is redesigned to accept a 4.0 with no mods. You need a bunch of little doo-dads for the full conversion, but to get the motor to fire you only need the same-era underhood engine harness (and ECU) and swap the 2.5 fuel pump with a 4.0 one.

Jeff

my motor has a bad rod nock and yea it ussally would be a ax5 but i did a swap about a month ago

so is the 4.0 conversion worth the money instead of boring and rebuilding my 2.5 than putting in 18pound injectors and the 4.0throttle body?

for me it was, but I gathered parts as I came across them for awhile before I did the swap. It is 100% bolt-in, no fab work whatsoever involved, but you have to make sure you get all the right parts. I even had to pick up a couple of specific parts I never thought of (gas pedal, for instance) as I was doing the swap.

Your 88 is TBI, 4.0's are MPI......you can't swap throttle bodies and/or injectors.

Jeff

Wasn't there some kind of fire wall changes from the older 2.5 to the 4.0l that would be required for the swap? I recall reading something like that.
No firewall changes on the 88, that was on the earlier 85. I did a 2.5L to 4.0L swap about 8 years ago.

When I swapped over, I actually built a 4.7L stroker. Talk about a change.

Back