• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door vs 4 door

Chicks dig 2 doors.
Children dig 4.

And ONLY children dig the 4 doors. Ever tried to get into the rear of a 4 door? I think its easier to get in the rear of a 2 door. Well atleast thats what my buddy told me when he got into my cousins and then tried to get in my 2 door.

I love 2-drs; wouldn't own anything else.
It's really a personal preference, though. If you
happen to have a couple of crumb-grabbers then
a 4-dr is more convienent, for car seats and baby
equipment.:rattle:

haha touche and all I meant was not stupid tall but you get what I'm going for

Ahh ok. I thought you meant it was a LCOG and I was like :huh: lol

I think the four door has better structural rigidity due to the extra pillar/beam from the doors.

True, but how many of us are really cutting the back half of our XJs off and trailering them all over north america to go to competitions and such. Especially since this post is in OEM tech.

I'd still take a 2 door over a 4 door any day, if i ever relegate it to a trailer it would have a full cage at that point anyway and therefore wouldnt matter that its two door.

as an owner of both... i love the look of the 2 door. but im 6'2" and put the seat all the way back. in a 4 door the B-pillar is imediately to my left. the 2 door looks like all windows to me, so i got one. its nice to have the extended door and look out the window. until you want to check you blind spot and realize the B-pillar is now farther back, and blocking you from seeing everything.

as an owner of both... i love the look of the 2 door. but im 6'2" and put the seat all the way back. in a 4 door the B-pillar is imediately to my left. the 2 door looks like all windows to me, so i got one. its nice to have the extended door and look out the window. until you want to check you blind spot and realize the B-pillar is now farther back, and blocking you from seeing everything.

I'm in the same boat, I'm 6'2 so that window being longer is awesome. My 2010 Focus is annoying as hell because when I go to look beside me I have to lean forward or I'll just be inspecting my seat belt.

However the B-pillar being there almost ended this guys car one day. busy traffic I was trying to merge, didnt see him there(even after my usual shoulder, mirror shoulder then move check) and I almost drive right over him.Needless to say he was quite cross with me at the light, I apologized and pointed to the b-pillar, he waved me off with a respectable wave although I must admit i expected the Quebecor wave.

now this is a stupid question but what does LCOG mean?

Low center of gravity. some of those guys run 35s on 2" lift. Personally doesnt make much sense, I run 31s on 2" lift and I think its perfect.

We have two 2 door XJ's. When we aren't expecting to carry extra people we just leave the rear seat cushion home and fold down the seat back, takes all of two minutes to remove and store. Much easier to access the back and great for vacations or a quick nap.

But for some reason our 6 foot 2 son and wife don't like to climb over the seat belts and ride in back . . .

Mike
P.S. If you ever do want to cut and fold the rear, the 2 doors have more body that can be removed because of the lack of back doors.

don't like to climb over the seat belts and ride in back . . .

Mike
P.S. If you ever do want to cut and fold the rear, the 2 doors have more body that can be removed because of the lack of back doors.

i can totally agree on both accounts.
the 85 ramcharger i had was only a two-door... loved that truck, but hated having to climb over everything to get to the back seat. and with 2 kids in tow, made life a real PITA!
but like Runnin'OnEmpty said, it's a personal choise.
guess it all depends on what ya plan on doing to it.

Man I love my 4-door. I don't have any miniatures, but I do move a lot of random crap around. I find the different doors that give me access to the rear, left, and right sides of the cargo area quite convenient. I'm willing to bet that a two door 2WD Jeep will get better gas mileage as well, since there is 4-500 lb weight difference between that and my 4WD 4 door. Of course that ultimately depends on how you drive anyway.

I actually fit fine in my 4dr and I'm 6'4"... the 95 (iirc, whenever the seat bracket design changed) and later have less headroom, and the 97 and later have even less than that, so it's a little tight headwise, but the doors never bugged me. The comment about having more space to cut for big tires on a 2dr is spot on though.

My only real reasons to pick up a 2dr instead of a 4dr would be the space for opening out the rear wheel wells and looks, and my reason for 4drs is that they are more common, probably more rigid without a cage, have more doors to forget unlocked in case the locks get seized up, and the hinges don't crack off the body quite as frequently.

I like the bigger door on the 2 doors, plus there sexier!

plus

reason for 4drs is that they are more common, probably more rigid without a cage, have more doors to forget unlocked in case the locks get seized up, and the hinges don't crack off the body quite as frequently.

equals a reason to get a 4dr. lol
actually i was thinking that the hinges on the 2dr would be more prone to the sag effect than the 4dr ones. as the doors on the 2dr are heavier then the 4dr model.

Back