• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C clutch problems

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

About 6 months ago my A/C stopped engaging. Of course I should have looked into this but since I don't use the A/C much I just never got to it. Don't miss it very much (although my wife does miss it sometimes). However, now the AC unit started squeeking (while not being engaged) and I'm getting worried that it may seize up. Not sure what my options are and I'm a complete A/C noob (and don't want to have to work with those chemicals if I can prevent it). I've been thinking along two lines:

1) remove the A/C unit and replace by idler pulley. Not ideal, but since I don't use A/C much anyway (and this is an old truck) it may be the most efficient solution. Question: can I remove the A/C myself without having to worry about the chemicals?

2) replace the clutch (and maybe more? bearings?). Question: can this be done without special tools and do you think this will solve my problems? How much $$ are we talking (if I do the work myself)?

Let me know what you think is the best route (idler pulley or new clutch, or other), all input is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Tim

Back