• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird transmission problem

sleestack

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 4x4 4.0 automatic sport with 104k miles on it. I rides great but once every two or three months, when I'm stopped at a light an take my foot of the brake it just sits there. If I give it some gas it will move and usually goes back to normal. When it first did it I added .30 quart of trans fluid and it didnt do it again for about 3 months, but it did it again the other day.

I looked at the trans fluid and while it is brownish it doesnt smell brunt, from what I could see it has never been changed. I got the jeep with 99K on it a year ago. I changed the NSS and TPS back when I got it and the throttle cable is properly adjusted. It rides and shifts perfectly otherwise.

Anyone have any ideas, should I have the fluid changed?

Yes, change your fluid. It should be a bright red color..

Anyone have any ideas, should I have the fluid changed?

Absolutely change the fluid. Gotta start there.

Use Dex/Merc III compatible fluid.

And if you've never cleaned or changed the filter, that might be a good idea. It is basically a screen and if fluid changes are kept up with, it doesn't generally get dirty, but for a tranny that has not had reasonable fluid change intervals, I think I would service it.

thanks for the advice, I was worried because I had read somewhere that on old transmissions with old fluid you should not change the fluid as it might cause tranmission failure.

thanks for the advice, I was worried because I had read somewhere that on old transmissions with old fluid you should not change the fluid as it might cause tranmission failure.

That is one of those pieces of bad advice that refuses to die.

Some may argue that a "flush" is not the best idea for a tranny that has never been serviced, but fresh fluid is always better than old fluid; it wears OUT.

You can just drop the fluid in the pan for starters (3-4 quarts), then drive for a while and repeat the process a couple of more times if you desire.

What you do not want to do is complete flush at a shop on one that has very old fluid. Instead do transfussions, of about 3 quarts at a time first, using the drain plug, about once every tank of gas, or once a week of steady driving.

The AW4 holds about 10 quarts IIRC, so 3 quarts at a time is slow gradual change, and cleaning. Do 3 quart swaps, once a week for 3 weeks, and see if the problem does not go away.

i would use cheap fluid if i was going to run it for a few miles and i would do the filter and gasket the first time. because who knows how long it has been. the last thing u want to do is have the filter get plugged then have to buy a new tranny. and i would take it on a long drive so it gets nice and hot. then change it and do it and repeat. then i would on the 3rd one i would get a filter and gasket set change the fluid out and t case if its 4x4. i also have seen good thengs with running a tranny additive.

Back