• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine acting strange...

ScottW

NAXJA Forum User
95 Sport 4.0l. There was recently a squeaking noise from the distributor, but it stopped about a week ago (might have something to do with the current problem?). Now it seems as if the belt is slipping, both during idle and driving, its not a squeal but kind of a slip and the whole jeep seems to shudder but immediately returns to normal then 5 minutes later it will happen again. I have no clue what the problem is, so any input would be appreciated.

Start with inspecting belt. Replace it if it is glazed, damaged or over 60k on it.

Ensure belt tension is adequate. The belt on the 4.0 needs to be pretty darn tight to stay quiet and do its thing.

My bet is that the distributor is getting ready to quit,the noise was the shaft rubbing in the housing. This throws the whole firing /timing thing out of wack=thus the shudder.

I bet the rotor has damaged the contacts in the cap also.

Back